Memtest reports correct memory figures?

ekological

n00b
Joined
Sep 7, 2009
Messages
40
Hi guys,

My original server was a Supermicro X9SCM-F with a E3-1230 and 16GB (4x4GB unbuffered ECC) RAM. I decided that it would be my backup server and I built a new server with a Supermicro X9SRI-F with a E5-2620 (I wasn't going to spend big bucks for something over 3GHz) with 32GB (4x8GB registered ECC) RAM. With the new server build, I let memtest run for 2 days and then prime95 for another few days to make sure the hardware was working properly. For sh*ts and giggles the other day, I decided to run memtest on the original server. The results are:

Original Server
L1: 32K 106669 MB/s
L2: 256K 48486 MB/s
L3: 8192K 36364 MB/s
Mem: 16G 17391 MB/s

New Server
L1: 32K 66669 MB/s
L2: 256K 30304 MB/s
L3: 15380K 19608 MB/s
Mem: 32G 12270 MB/s

I can understand the speed of the registered RAM taking a hit, but I was surprised with the other numbers (considering LGA1155 vs LGA2011). Is this right?

TIA,
Chester
 
The numbers you are seeing are not the total of all 4 memory channels on the new server. When I run Memtest on my dual channel rig, it only reports the throughput for a single channel. The single channel memory numbers being reported seem about right to me when comparing registered to non registered ram.

I noticed the E3 supports only DDR3-1066/1333 but the E5 supports DDR3-800/1066/1333. Is there a possibility your ram is running at a slower speed than you intended? I ask because my understanding is the "uncore" of Intel cpus are supposed to run at double the memory speed. If your memory is running at a lower speed than it was on the E3 then that could help explain why your cache throughput also took a hit.
 
Lga 2011 cache runs at a static speed unlike 1155, also uses a slightly different ring bus, and single thread perfect can be a bit lower, but aggregate throughput is more. I'm on my phone so this is just a basic explanation, check some sb-e reviews to see more.
 
For the E5, I bought these (Samsung DDR3-1600 16GB ECC/REG Samsung Chip Server Memory - M393B2G70BH0-YK0). The funny thing is when I go into the BIOS, I think it's running at 1333MHz. I also heard things like taking a hit in speed with larger chips or with more RAM to access. It's funny that you point out the E5 supporting 800/1066/1333, whereas the motherboard supports up to 1600? I guess 1333 is what it's running at and it's the fastest it can? Thanks for the reply.
 
Back
Top