memory timming's vs ppd

lehmann

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Feb 8, 2005
Messages
1,362
while playing with my i5-750 trying for a bit more speed. I noticed my command rate was @ 2T ... 9-9-9-24-2T cheap ocz drr-1600 2x2gig kit. The memory i was using was corsair 9-9-9-24-1T ddr 1333 1X1gig kit. which runs those number @1600 on 1.65v soo I put the corsair memory in took out the ocz and droped 12 seconds a fram doing a 6014 3:51 vs 4:03 909ppd difference. acording to the smp calculator. this would make an even bigger difference on a bigadv rig. anyone wanna help me with the numbers assuming 34 minute time frams with the slow memory.
 
Last edited:
Part 2 taking the same corsair sticks from 9-9-9-24-1t @1600 to 8-8-8-24-1t @1200 netted another 6 seconds per fram on a 6012 gaining another 454ppd for a total of 1363ppd just from memory timmings
 
Last edited:
This is pretty interesting stuff. I would have assumed that memory played a part in overall performance and probably part of the reason for Big Adv crashes are unstable memory OC's.

With that being said, my rigs are currently running on 999-24 Corsairs that I bought when I built my i7 rig over a year ago. My future rigs will run with tighter memory. If tighter memory settings can make that much of a difference, I will definitely look to tighter memory for future i7 builds (and definitely for my SR-2 build)

 
part 3 while playing with my memory timmings i lowered my qpi from 18 to 16 this cost me 4 seconds on the 6012 thats a i5-750@ 4.0 200X20 all posted speeds are with 18 qpi
 
Last edited:
just checked my bigadv box which has a little faster ozc ram 8-8-8-24-2T 1600ddr running 1448 at those timings i7-860 181X22 18 qpi. changed timings to 7-7-7-24-1T@1086 ill speed numbers in a few hours. update that change lost me 45 seconds
 
Last edited:
ill be back to this in a few days with some real memory. think ill try the corsair ddr1600 7-7-7-24-1T memory
 
part4 using the same ocz 8-8-8-24-2T 1600 memory changed to 1T i dropped 35 seconds on a bigadv
 
Back
Top