Memory leak problem

DR_K13

2[H]4U
Hello, I am trying to fix my moms computer, i came over to her house today and she told me that it keeps crashing. Its a dell ( yuck ) dimension 4100 p3 with 256 pc133 installed. she is not running any programs in the background, except her anti-virus. I checked for spy-ware, ad-ware,viruses, hijack logs, etc and everything is clean. there is a memory leak somewhere and I cannot find the damn thing. I watch the memory drop form 120 mb free to 0mb free then the computer get hung up and crashes. WTF?? She cannot afford to buy any memory right now, so I was wondering if someone could help me fix the leak or know of a program I can download to optimize the memory. I tryed memory monster, but it kept refreshing too much and it would crash the computer.... please help thank you :)

I'll bet big dollars you have a virus or some really tenacious spamware running in there.

Before you start pointing at the hardware, do a full virus scan with up to date virus signitures, and a full "Ad Aware" scan, also with up to date detection files.

Memtest86+ is very good diagnostic software for the hardware. Since it's a self booting floppy, it would be a very good test to run on your system, too.

Good Luck - :cool: - B.B.S.

I ran adware, the system is clean. One thing I know about is security, lol
where do I find that program???

You could also try shutting off processes when it gets low on memory. Once the program with the leak closes the memory should free up.

ya, its something running that I cannot detect. I turned off all non critcal processes. and its still crashing, I took the ram and put it another rig and the ram is fine/

You need to visit L5group for driver manager....to track down every single little thing running in that system.

You also need to visit Sysinternals, and get thier process monitor program.

Kill things off one at a time till you find the offending program.

Also, StartupControlPanel from MLin will help.....beats trying to use msconfig.

damn! maybe thats it, she had no fire wall for a wile and old anti-virus, i reinstalled win98 clean, got her broadband with a dlink router , I also run norton antivirus, spyware-blaster, hijacktthis, etc etc I even put in a a zonealarm for back up, and crap can still get in???? WTF!

Back