Mem divider problem on 9NDA3+ while overclocking

Jman

n00b
Hello everyone. Just built my new system with an Epox 9NDA3+ and Winchester 3000+. Love the board so far, nice BIOS, and stable, BUT, while trying to max out my overclock, I'm at an interesting point. (system is in the signature) When I got to 250FSB, with the mem divider at 166, so the RAM was really running about at default. In order to rule out the RAM as the limiting factor in determining my chip's max, I tried to lower the RAM divider to 133. As soon as I did this, the BIOS took 4 times longer to come up, then loaded Epox's 'safe mode' to allow me to get in and change the settings...it won't continue past POST.

What's odd is that the machine runs fine, at the HIGHER mem frequency beyond that. I'm currently testing (don't know if it's failed since I'm at work) my system at 260FSB (3x HTT multi), and it passed the Prime 95 torture test for 12 hours at 255FSB, with the divider at 166 (208 effective memory clock).

After screwing around with it, I found out that the 133 divider works just fine up until 245 FSB...then it fails. Beyond 245, the machine is fine, as long as it's running at the 166 or 100 lock, but not at 133, which is what I really need to push it further. At stock voltages, divider at 100, I was able to boot at 2446, but then it crashed (I didn't try to increase Vcore at that time), but I am pretty sure I can hit at least 2400 stable, if not 2500 with a voltage bump, if I can get the mem divider to 133. I really don't want to run the memory at 135MHz, and I think it will likely top out here at the 5/6 ratio pretty quickly (if it even passes at 260, which I'll find out in 2 hours).

Any ideas what could be causing this?

hmmm i havent had ne problems with the memory divider on mine and i was running 2.4 (9*267)easily at first and now im doin 2.6 (9*290)with my ram at 237mhz (i hav xms)

im having a similar problem on my 9nda3+, except ... its the 166 divider that dosent work past 245 fsb, and thats what i need so i can run my ram at 220mhz (i have mushkin 222 special). Im currently running my 3000 @ 2.4 (9*268) on the 133 divider, leaving my ram at 172mhz.

after googling it, i found out that other people were having similar problems with both the 133 and 166 (either or) dividers. Also, the onboard sound and lan on mine dont work, and thats how it came... so i suspect that Epox needs to get their shit together.

Also i suspected it needed a bios upgrade, so i flashed it with the lastest one today.

Any insight would be nice.

Interesting....Well, I have a support ticket open with Epox, so we'll see what they say. This is really odd. Overall, it really doesn't matter that much...by the time I would need the extra 150MHz on my clock speed, I'll probably be dropping a dual core chip into my machine. Still, I'd like to see what the issue is.

Did this problem ever get sorted I have exactly the same issue, which is annoying because I have an Opteron 146 waiting to be run at 300*10.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

yeah well i cant overclock with this "great" board at all. I am convince it must be a setting i have wrong or something but with the memory divider set to 200mhz not even 215FSB will go past POST. is dropping the memory divider to 166 that essential to get any overclock?

I have OCZ plat rev2 memory attempting to overclock with loose timings of 2.5 3 3 8

Is there some setting i am missing with the new bios that i am failing to see because i just cant believe no overclock is possible :(

Overvolt said:
yeah well i cant overclock with this "great" board at all. I am convince it must be a setting i have wrong or something but with the memory divider set to 200mhz not even 215FSB will go past POST. is dropping the memory divider to 166 that essential to get any overclock?

I have OCZ plat rev2 memory attempting to overclock with loose timings of 2.5 3 3 8

Is there some setting i am missing with the new bios that i am failing to see because i just cant believe no overclock is possible :(
which cpu are you running?

oops, like anyone can help me if i dont post what i have lol.

Venice Core 3200+, LBBLE stepping
All voltages are stock/auto except for VDIMM which put to 2.7 just in case that was undervolting( my of k8nsc did that).

N H O, if you could tell me a little about some of your setting either through PM or here that could help but i dont want to hijack this thread either with just my problem. If you are not doing anything different than i am then i will be sad and i know it is not my CPU because i was running at 2.52 just last week on my now fried K8NSC.

Back