Gawd
Can anyone please point me in the direction of a guide that shows how to get
windows ME printing to printers installed on vista. I have read through the
NTLM2, but it was not applicable to ME

XP machines will print without issue.

File/Print sharing enabled
Password protection off
Private network

I saw your post the other day but was waiting to see if it got answered. From what I understand, your printer's share name must be less than 12 characters long for ME to be able to see it, and it should also be in the same workgroup as the other machines. Those are the two most obvious points but I'll post them anyway to get the thread going.

I have no clue, but good luck, I couldn't even get to an ME machine on my network, Have you tried doing it the other way around and using the ME machine as a print server?

I can browse the shared folders, I just cannot print to the printers, although permissions have been set. It is very strange.

Printer share name is 7 letters.

It is my daughter's laptop, I just restored it to see if I could replicate a problem a customer of mine was having and I am able to. It will be reverting back to FC 7 soon.

different drivers most likely, ME doesn't know what to do with it, can you set up a print server?

ME drivers are installed natively.

I can setup a print server, but that will not directly correct the issue I am having.

So you are attempting to resolve this for a client? Be straight with him and suggest an upgrade. Hell, if he doesn't want to spend the cash on hardware, give him 98SE and you'd be better off.

Yes, it is for a client. Here is the problem, they are a satellite of a larger company and on my recommendation, they upgraded, but the parent company on authorized one replacement, hence one Vista and one ME. So I am stuck locally trying to figure this out, which is why I put ME on my daughter's laptop to try and solve the problem off-site and come in with a solution.

I remember having similar problems getting 98 to recognize 2000 shared printers and drives. The solution was to enable guest account in 2000. By default it's disabled.

Try that.

I'm flabbergasted. Someone still uses ME? If you appreciate this client tell him to dump it asap.

fron what i have read vista may not "see" WM as it does not see xp. i wood suspect if xp is not seen then surely milleium wood meet the same fate.there is suppose to be a fix for this hidden within microsofts data base. i got this info. out of "all about vista" magazine.but,there is no link to web page.

looks like i did not read for enough into the post answer may be there already.

I'm flabbergasted. Someone still uses ME? If you appreciate this client tell him to dump it asap.

Please read two posts up.

Thank you DeKe, I will go through it.

I have already posted on the MS community page on 8/30/2007 11:51 AM PST, but I have not received any responses.

http://www.microsoft.com/communitie...D18D-FA0E-A366-6E527B0FBA67&lang=en&cr=US&p=1

They do not have any XP's machines, but my XP machines can print to Vista without any issues.

If the guides Deke posted work, I will post up.

Back