MCE 2005 and gaming

djnes

Fully [H]
I can't seem to find any solid info on this, but I am thinking of combining the system in my sig with my HTPC. I know my hardware is compatible with MCE 2005, but I'm wondering how gaming and MCE 2005 mix. ANyone have any experience or thoughts on this? I'm inclined to think it will be just fine, since MCE 2005 is basically XP Pro SP2, but I'd like to make sure it will be fine before I make the switch.

djnes said:
I can't seem to find any solid info on this, but I am thinking of combining the system in my sig with my HTPC. I know my hardware is compatible with MCE 2005, but I'm wondering how gaming and MCE 2005 mix. ANyone have any experience or thoughts on this? I'm inclined to think it will be just fine, since MCE 2005 is basically XP Pro SP2, but I'd like to make sure it will be fine before I make the switch.

For the most part it's XP SP2 with some added services thrown in the mix (for example a guide downloader, the Remote control drivers, etc) and a fancy TV friendly interface (that you can quit)

So if those minor services don't get in your way while playing, you shouldbe fine (they are pretty unobtrusive if you ask me)

I use it on my HTPC with some light gaming (basically my HTCP is pretty weak, so I'm lucky if I can even play Quake 3 on it)
It doesn't seem to have that bad of an impact.

You could also manually start / stop the services if they do get in the way.

I should have mentioned I have it running already, and like mentioned, it's not on a machine that's up to the challenge of gaming. I guess I should Ghost my current install and try it out.

Back