McAfee Sucks!

t00thless

Limp Gawd
I know you all know this, I just had to rant for a second.

A friend got a laptop with a trial McAffee suite. He asked me to help uninstall it. I was like "dude, go to add remove programs and uninstall it." he said he tried with no luck.

Sure enough, if you try, you get a message saying you must uninstall the services first. I couldn't find how to uninstall them. I go to McAffee's site and click the link to uninstall it. Well, it the site wanted to install some program to help diagnose problems.

So, I exited out and went to google. I found an uninstaller at Major Geeks that worked like a champ in about 1 minute. What a flipping pain!

So, in conclusion :) if you go to help someone, try to find the McAfee uninstaller that does not seem to be easy to find on McAfee's site.

/stops rant

Trick is to run the uninstaller in safe mode if I remember right.

Yea it is a pain in the ass.

havent liked McAffee since a few years back when it was whiping clean boot records on systems. they stinks, their rate at finding new viruses is low, and they are just over all, crap.

i would rather use norton (which has jumped to the top of the list for virus finding) then mcAfee.

If the only two choices I had were McAffee and nothing.... I'd choose nothing:)

not really, nortons issue is it is bloated and slow, but it ranks very high on finding / stopping viruses.

McAfee just all around sucks,.

Well, i dont want to sound biased, but i have had mcAfee for two years now (its free with comcast), and i love it. I switched from norton, and when i ran my first scan, i had like 42 infections on my PC. Uninstalling it was hassle free to me, if im right, under start->programs->mcafee-> theres an uninstall icon there. I have no complaints with this product as of now the security center is perfect and hassle free to me.

I say there are too many versions of each brand of antiviral software to make a general judgement on their performance. McAfee Total Protection for Small and Medium Business runs just fine and doesn't use any resources whatsoever. But the home version is a pretty sorry sight.

I say there are too many versions of each brand of antiviral software to make a general judgement on their performance. McAfee Total Protection for Small and Medium Business runs just fine and doesn't use any resources whatsoever. But the home version is a pretty sorry sight.
That's a very good point. Norton's products are full of bloat. Symantec's products run great, and perform well in the scanning tests. One line sucks, one line has some excellent products.

That's a very good point. Norton's products are full of bloat. Symantec's products run great, and perform well in the scanning tests. One line sucks, one line has some excellent products.

Yea really. Symantec av is a lot better then norton(haven't really tried mcafee's corp stuff). It still needs work though. I've been having a good amount of issues with sav and vista and it kept messing up on my notebook which runs 2003. Just loaded 10.1.6 to see if it is any better then 10.1.5

Back