many computers connected & dhcp

bpimmerman

[H]ard|Gawd
two part question:

1) I have a linksys router, and I recently noticed that my ip address of my computer had changed....so i checked the status to see that many computers were connected to my router:

hdcp.jpg

it's wireless, and i currently own swimfast and backstroke. are the other people connected to me wirelessly? is this bad?

2) I want to change my settings on swimfast so that I always have the same IP. But i can't edit the tcp/ip settings on the local area connection on that computer(it shows up with a little lock on it). anyone know how to solve this?

my router model is: WRT54G

thanks a lot.

bpimmerman said:
two part question:

it's wireless, and i currently own swimfast and backstroke. are the other people connected to me wirelessly? is this bad?

Yes they are connecting wirelessly, unless they are very, very sneaky. Do you have any security set up, I suppose not. I would consider it bad, unless you like people stealing your bandwidth and possibly accessing shared info on your lan.

bpimmerman said:
2) I want to change my settings on swimfast so that I always have the same IP. But i can't edit the tcp/ip settings on the local area connection on that computer(it shows up with a little lock on it). anyone know how to solve this?

my router model is: WRT54G

thanks a lot.

You should be able to specify an IP for a particular host on the router, which would be preferable anyway. Centralized management.

Snap!

Thats pretty funny. People are connecting to your wireless net. However, 1) thats really bad 2) that really sucks.

If they can connect to your router (network) and you have your drives shared (so YOU at home can move files around from the computer) and DONT have a password on those shares those people connecting can access your files.

You have some simple options
Turn on WEP Security.
Or, just Filter MAC Addresses. <-- I do that one.

If they are all PC's then Run -- Cmd -- Ipconfig /all
write down the mac address and in your router have it only allow those.

Apples: System Prefs -- Network Connection -- Select ethernet/bluetooth/airport/what have you and then go to ...can't remember, but you'll click one of the tabs there and find the mac addresses.

Speaking of which, best thing ever was when a client asked me "How do PC's have Mac addresses? Don't they have PC addresses?" I chuckled and explained. Good times.

Darkstar850 said:
Yes they are connecting wirelessly, unless they are very, very sneaky. Do you have any security set up, I suppose not. I would consider it bad, unless you like people stealing your bandwidth and possibly accessing shared info on your lan.

You should be able to specify an IP for a particular host on the router, which would be preferable anyway. Centralized management.

ok...i set up wep(i'm still on the b standard), and I'll put in MAC filtering tomorrow. Color me purple, but I couldn't figure out where to assign a specific mac address a certain PC. anyone want to smack me in the face with the answer?

thanks for the help by the way

thanks....but what i really meant to ask was how to assign a specific IP address to a certain PC. doh! I appreciate the help so far.

You do that on the PC, in networking. Change the NIC TCP/IP properties from "Obtain an IP address automatically" (which gets an address from the router through DHCP) to "Use the following IP address". You'll need to know about the subnet mask and default gateway thingies, and you'll need to know what your DNS server addresses are (your ISP should have/will tell you).

p.s.: both my sister and my parents just finally got wireless broadband, and at each house I could "sneak" onto the wireless connections for at least 2 or 3 of their neighbors ... it's irresponsible of Verizon et. al. to dump a fancy new Westwell combo DSL modem on non-savvy users ...

Qualm said:
You do that on the PC, in networking. Change the NIC TCP/IP properties from "Obtain an IP address automatically" (which gets an address from the router through DHCP) to "Use the following IP address". You'll need to know about the subnet mask and default gateway thingies, and you'll need to know what your DNS server addresses are (your ISP should have/will tell you).

p.s.: both my sister and my parents just finally got wireless broadband, and at each house I could "sneak" onto the wireless connections for at least 2 or 3 of their neighbors ... it's irresponsible of Verizon et. al. to dump a fancy new Westwell combo DSL modem on non-savvy users ...

No that is not what he is asking for. He WANTs to use DHCP but wants the DHCP server to always give him the same IP. This is done on the DHCP server. However many linksys style boxes do not give you the ability to do this. If you have a WRT54G(s) then you can get a 3rd party firmware which will open up the ability to do this. However without that chances are you can not.

That sucks, I guess I have mainly used netgear, and I have always been able to specify an IP to be assigned to a certain MAC.

Back