Mantle for laptops

So I still wait for Mantle for laptops. Currently, Mantle doesn't support laptops and as I know AMD, they will focus on desktop and don't care about laptops so maybe in 8 months.

I think that's a huge waste and a mess, because especially laptops like mine (with a AMD APU and a good GCN GPU) could benefit from Mantle, because laptop CPUs are much weaker than desktop ones.

When do you think will we get Mantle?

One technical issue might be switchable graphics, branded as Enduro for AMD, and how that affects Mantle support.

I think there are modded third party drivers that support some GPUs but evidently they will not work with any Enduro laptops? I'm not too sure about this though, would need to look into it more to get concrete data.

I would think they would want to at least push some support through to tie in with the launch of Kaveri for mobile or when Crystal series mobile GPUs officially launches. Whether they have anything ready of course is another matter.

Even on the Nvidia side there less support for some features available on desktop Kepler but not mobile Kepler due to needing to support switchable graphics as well (Shadowplay for example). So switchable graphics support could very well add some complications.

One technical issue might be switchable graphics, branded as Enduro for AMD, and how that affects Mantle support.

I think there are modded third party drivers that support some GPUs but evidently they will not work with any Enduro laptops? I'm not too sure about this though, would need to look into it more to get concrete data.

I would think they would want to at least push some support through to tie in with the launch of Kaveri for mobile or when Crystal series mobile GPUs officially launches. Whether they have anything ready of course is another matter.

Even on the Nvidia side there less support for some features available on desktop Kepler but not mobile Kepler due to needing to support switchable graphics as well (Shadowplay for example). So switchable graphics support could very well add some complications.

These modded drivers are supporting laptops without switchable graphics (muxed) So yes, nothing can enable Mantle right now with mobility :(

It would really suck if laptops users have to wait until Kaveri mobility launches, that would be typical AMD so it would be realistic but it would be a huge mess from AMD to their mobility users.

Yes, Switchable Graphics is a bit complicated but it's not that big of a problem. Ultimately, a driver will launch this month with GCN 1.0 optimisation and PX/Enduro support for Mantle, I would be perfectly fine with that. But in the worst case it will 6-15 months from now until mobility support.

Back