Managing a database imported from Excel

nomar

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm hoping someone has an idea of how to manage this growing database.

This is a database of project information for my company, with the data stored on a partner company's network. We access it through a web interface and can download as an xls or csv from the web interface.

The problem is, the data changes on a daily basis (status updates, dates, code etc change) and I use the data to support my company's activities. I need to create reports and search this data on a regular basis but I have to start over every day because cell K519 may be "STARTED" on one day and may be "COMPLETE" on the next.

What I'm looking for is a way to import all of this into my own database on a daily basis and have it append the data for each record, without affecting any notes or internal fields we use. Essentially, mirroring the live database on our partner company's web server, but have it local so we can add notes and fields as necessary.

Currently this DB has 2648 records with 28 fields for each record. Some fields I don't care about, but I would like to maintain another 5-10 fields for each record.

Any suggestions or do you need more info?

TIA!

Back