Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit (MBAE) released - a new 3MB product.

-PK-

[H]ard|Gawd
I haven't see this mentioned anywhere in the forums. Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit (MBAE) was released on June 12th after a year of beta testing; Malwarebytes acquired ZeroVulnerabilityLabs along with their product, ExploitShield, almost exactly a year ago.

There is a free version for browser and java protection, and a premium version which extends it's protection to Microsoft Word, PDF readers, media players, and custom applications. Unlike MBAM, it doesn't require signature updates and it only takes up 3MB of hard disk space. This prevents zero-day vulnerabilities, and known exploit kits which target version-specific vulnerabilities to deliver malware and ransomware (including CryptoWall). It does this by adding 3 layers of security to monitor for application behavior, memory protection, and elevated security bypasses.

http://blog.malwarebytes.org/news/2014/06/introducing-malwarebytes-anti-exploit/

A sponsored demonstration testing against live exploits:
http://malware.dontneedcoffee.com/2014/06/mbae.html

Wow they went to a one time $25 payment to $25 per year for Anti-Malware.. And this is a separate product. Both applications would make that $50 per year. And, of course, the quality seems to have gone down. Fuck them.

I agree. I don't think I would get a MBAE subscription unless you were considering it for business use and get emailed pdf's frequently. It is interesting though that a MBAE subscription, along with the free version of MBAM scheduled to run a treat scan daily, might provide better overall security than a MBAM premium subscription. Assuming the common threat is in random websites and pdf's, instead of random zip's and exe's which you could scan manually if they were suspicious. However, for the time being you can still find lifetime editions of MBAM at a reasonable price.

Last edited:
Wow they went to a one time $25 payment to $25 per year for Anti-Malware.. And this is a separate product. Both applications would make that $50 per year. And, of course, the quality seems to have gone down. Fuck them.

Fuck them for protecting people's systems..

How much is your time worth if your system gets infected, documents encrypted or something else lost?

For many, it is worth far more than $50.....

Don't like it, don't use it, simple.

it doesn't require signature updates

So curious how it knows about new exploits to look for.. or does it merely look for un-natural patterns or access requests apps shouldn't be asking for..?

Too bad they don't allow full feature time limited demo otherwise Chrome, built-in Flash and PDF are already sand boxed and if you're security conscious enough to run Chrome you probably disallow Java on your system so the free version is kind of useless.

Running Chrome has nothing to do with being security conscious, sure most people run it because it is shoved down your throat everywhere you go that involves anything Google (search engine / docs et cetera, or many app installers now are prompting if you want to install Chrome.

The live exploit link shows the exploits that were achieved with IE and none for Chrome.

Been using this for a couple months now. Only time I ever saw it pop up was a false-positive from playing DVD's on WMP, but that bug has since been fixed. Otherwise, guess I don't go to enough .ru sites to thoroughly test it :D

Back