Making your system inaccessible during certain hours

Yohhan

Limp Gawd
I'd like to make my Windows XP machine inaccessible during certain hours of the day. For example at a specified time, I need the system to just shut down completely (even if someone is currently using it), and then refuse to boot up again for a given period of time. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how this could be done?

I haven't done much windows programming, but I'd be willing to look into this if there weren't any other viable options.

Use the shutdown command (command-line). Schedule it with windows scheduler.

The problem isn't going to be the timed shutdown...it's going to be the timed power up. It certainly won't be any software that will do it, because once the machine powers down, nothing will be running to power it up.

My suggestion would be to use the scheduler to have the system reboot at a certain time. Once it comes back up, have the user accounts password protected. The machine will be on, but no one without the passwords can use it.

Does it absolutely have to be off completely? You can use the net user /time command to limit when specified users can be logged in.

Example:

net user USERNAME /time:M-F,1pm-5pm

This would allow username to be logged in only between 1 and 5pm mondays through fridays.

It doesn't have to be off completely, I just have to be able to keep a certain user off at certain times.

That net user command sounds like what I need. I'll try it out. Thanks!

Back