Making my router assign the same IP to my computer every time

|oR|Spetsnaz

2[H]4U
I have a Netgear WGT624v3 router that will not always assign my computer the same IP address after it is power cycled. Sometimes its 192.168.1.2, sometimes its 192.168.1.3, or perhaps 192.168.1.5. How do I make it so that it always assigns the same IP address, such as 192.168.1.2?

Will the "address reservation" menu let me do this?

If your routers DHCP service has the reservation feature...yes that will do it, simply enter the MAC of the NIC on the machines you wish to have on a static LAN IP, and you'll be set next time she boots up.

Or if your routers DHCP does not have the reservation feature, very simply assign that computer/device a static LAN IP address outside of the DHCP scope...a quick guide here.. http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=177

Or you can go into your computer's network settings and tell it the IP to use.

Go into the router and tell DHCP to assign a range from 192.168.1.100 - 254. This is to prevent the router from assigning that IP to anouter computer.

Go into windows network settings and assign the computer IP to be 192.168.1.2 instead of get an IP. Which is outside the range the router can now assign.

Assign the DNS IP's - first is the router - second is your ISP....Go to advanced and assign 3rd as your ISP's secondary then add as many more as you want.

The gateway IP is the IP of the router.

If this is greek to you then google for "setting up a static IP" - you'll find a lot of tutorials on how to do this.

luck!

[edit] And I just noticed this advice in the last part of 'Cat's Post - sorry for doubling advice - but this is the way I do it at home.[/edit]

Back