Make a wireless router function as a repeater/access point?

SocceRich20

2[H]4U
I snagged a Motorola 802.11g router on black friday. I already have a wireless router in my basement. Right now I have it set as two seperate networks, but both share the internet. I'd like everything to be able to be on the same workgroup, and share the same SSID. Right now I have a cable going from a LAN port on my basement router, to the WAN port on my new wireless router. Is there a way I can have this setup so that all computers connnected are able to see eachother on a workgroup, and both routers have the same SSID, the one on the upper floor just repeating the signal? Every computer has WIndows XP Professional in my house. I also have a 24 port managed switch at my disposal that I can use in between the routers if necessary for some reason. Any ideas?

What kind of router is the main one?

I'm not sure of the settings on the Motorola routers but check the settings in the router and search around for something to turn it into an access point.

do not connect the upstairs router to the downstairs router via the wan port. this will prevent anything connecting to the upstairs router from utilizing the same workgroup.

do connect the upstairs router with a lan port, and disable the dchp server.

it may be in your insterest to have different ssid's as well. no need to use it as a repeater if you have run a cable up to it already. i'm not so sure it can even act as a repeater.

Still doesn't work. When I put a straight cable from the basement router's lan to the upstairs router's 1st lan port, there isnt any internet.

If the switch on the second router/AP is not autosensing or it doesn't have an uplink then you'll need to use a crossover cable or cut and recrimp your existing cable or you could buy a X-over and use a coupler.

That aside, your internet working is a symptom not the problem. Forget about that for the time being. Do you have a link light on the port that you plugged your cable run into? If no then you'll probably need to cross it. If you do, then are you getting IP's off that box. In other words, are your wired/wireless clients getting a DHCP IP address that are connected to that switch/AP? If so, then can you ping and on we go. CHecking your internet to see if things work is like checking your speedometer to see if your car will start.

SocceRich20 said:
still doesn't even want to network from one router to another with the LAN ports.

Do you have a link light? Are you using the same ip segment on both networks? Can you ping across? Your just not really giving alot of information. Hard to help.

xover cable ? routers have a uplink mode ?

I doubt many switches on routers have an uplink port however many of them are autosensing, meaning all the lan ports can be uplink ports.

what happens when you plug your laptop directly into the cat5 you've run upstairs? ip address? internets?

Back