MacWorld San Francisco Thread

KaosDG

[H]F Junkie
Let's keep it all concise and in one spot guys.

I'll unlock it at 12pm EST so you can post your best findings here once the keynote begins.

from engadget

We're also introducing a new accessory for your iPod today, which is a remote control - it's also an FM tuner.

12:25 PM - "We've got a new release of Mac OS X Tiger ... 10.4.4 ... you can download it today, it's got all these new widgets."

12:26 PM - "Now, I'd like to talk about iLife." He's recapping what iLife is. "Today, we're introducing the next revision, iLife '06, and it's a giant release."

no more powerbook, macbook pro.

dual core intel....

4x-5x faster..... fastest ever...

$1999 for dual 1.67
$2499 for dual 1.83

inotocracy said:
Sounds like a mobile beast, cant wait for an actual review.

I think we need to get Kyle or Steve to try to review one of these or the new imac. I can just see Steve trying to water cool an imac. Come on Steve you know you want to be the first to do it........

Agreed, the MacBook Pro sounds pretty awesome, but it has an absolutely awful name. I'm assuming the iBook will then be replaced by just the plain 'MacBook'.

I'm a bit upset there was no new Mini announced as well... a core duo mini would be the perfect way to get into the Mac experience... with the MacBook and the iMac you are paying for displays and whatnot that you don't need or want if you are just swapping one box out for another...

Mobile x1600 256Mb. Finally a decent mobile card for the book. I dig the magna-power cord too. My current PB is a little flakey in that dept. I gotta say, the upgraded model is worth the extra 500 bucks finally with the default features. Exta 512 Mb Ram, 100 Gb Sata drive, slight processor bump. Included Software is pretty vast too....may not have seen the price point different, but you're getting more bang for that same amount of buck, IMO. I was hoping for the mini rumours and the DVR software to be true though :(

To hell with a name, they can call it "Schwinfuckbag" for all I care. As long as it looks and runs great I couldn't care less. I'm not a big Mac fan but the specs on this machine look good, I'd concider it for a mobile alternative. I'm sure Linux could be installed on it so I'm practictly sold.

Am I the only one that finds these speed claims of 4x to be a little outlandish? Was the PPC chip that stunted as I cannot believe Intel has found that much speed relative to their x86 offerings.

Opie said:
Am I the only one that finds these speed claims of 4x to be a little outlandish? Was the PPC chip that stunted as I cannot believe Intel has found that much speed relative to their x86 offerings.

Don't forget that as far as marketing people know, "dual core" is exactly twice as fast as single core, when in reality it vastly depends on the application (and even then it's more like 70% faster due to synchronization overhead).

Still, multicore notebooks are the way of the future. Soon there will be other Core Duo notebooks out and we'll be able to do an apples-to-Apples comparison based on price.

These new Macbook pros are being manufactured by Asus, which has been making high quality x86 notebooks for a while now. So even though it's "revision A" of hardware, it's constructed by a company with a lot of experience building Intel notebooks.

If I had the cash lying around I'd buy one, but I will probably wind up waiting for the Core Duo mac mini assuming one is introduced this year.

when you have a 167 Mhz FSB choking every subsystem in the machine including RAM access it not hard for me to believe.

This is the reason Apple went intel - can you imagine now what staying with the G4 would have been like for Apple?

It seems like the only reason they called it the macbook instead of just calling it the new powerbook is so they could sell they powerbook G4's at the same price as before. Also if the new imacs are twice as fast as the g5 imacs why are they being sold at the same price?

What time should I expect the QT video of the Keynote? I want to see thses "faster" things in action. I would have never expected the iMac being one of the first upgrades but it does make sense.

darkhorse said:
It seems like the only reason they called it the macbook instead of just calling it the new powerbook is so they could sell they powerbook G4's at the same price as before. Also if the new imacs are twice as fast as the g5 imacs why are they being sold at the same price?

because the g5 imacs are being phased out.

Apple's release cycle does that.

The new ones come out, same price point, and the old ones slowly fade into non-existance.

The intel iMacs seem like an even better value now but I'm not that thrilled with the MacBook. I was hoping for a departure from the powerbook but it seems they just stuffed a duo into a resized powerbook enclosure. I really wish they would have taken it a step towards the look of the old Ti Book.

I JUST recieved an iMag G5 w/ iSight for x-mas too. It's been in the store for repair since it makes a crazy buzzing sound while running. I just called the store and they will let me "switch it out" for a new 20" Core duo model for a cool 10% restocking fee. Which comes out to about $170. since I recieved the Educator discount. Whatever, it's worth it.

AppaYipYip said:
I JUST recieved an iMag G5 w/ iSight for x-mas too. It's been in the store for repair since it makes a crazy buzzing sound while running. I just called the store and they will let me "switch it out" for a new 20" Core duo model for a cool 10% restocking fee. Which comes out to about $170. since I recieved the Educator discount. Whatever, it's worth it.

10% fee. Hell if it is in for repair because it was defective then they should let you return it without a restock fee if it dropped if off within the return period. Either way 170 doesn't sound too bad.

4b5eN+EE said:
why.....in gods name.....would you want to do that?!:eek:
Academically it's not a bad question but yeah why would you want too? :eek:

I wonder if we'll see any of these Mactel mobos show up on ebay or anything, maybe it would be easier to build your own Mac now?
synergyo1 said:
Dualbooting is the way to go!
Triple boot Linux FTW. :D

I'm disappointed that there wasn't a new mini. I was gettin ready to sell mine and upgrade. Guess i have to wait longer.

I ordered the Dual 1.83 with education discount, looking forward to my first mac.

One thing I was twisted on was upgrading to the 7200 hard disk, anyone have advice pro or con?

Sam

If the Apple Store was going to charge you 10% to exchange I'd fight it because your iMac is new and broke. If you put it on a credit card, I would return it and call your credit card company and do what is called a charge back because they didn't credit you the full amount. Then you can rebuy the new model. I'd feel like crap throwing away $170 just to upgrade. I guess it wouldn't be as bad if it wasn't broke.

Back