Mac/PC Internet Sharing

asyork

2[H]4U
I want to share the connection from my PB Al Panther with my XP system. I tried everything I could think of, and my PC even made a Mac bridge for itself, but no luck connecting to the net. My PB connects through my University LAN, and is networked with a wireless router. The PC is wired to the router. I would just connect with the router and have each comp connected through there, but my router doesn't like being very consistent. It isn't horrible, but I would rather have my PB on a dependable connection and no connection on my PC than an iffy connection for both. Any info is appreciated.

Go into system preferences, choose sharing, the internet panel of sharing there is an option of what connection you want to share, check it and click start to share that connection, that should also set it up as a DHCP server and give out an IP.

I tried that. It's very possible that the problem is in my router. My router didn't seem to want to connect to my PB as an internet connection (maybe it cannot recognize a wireless internet connection?), and my PC couldn't seem to make it past the router as far as looking for an internet connection goes. I don't know if any of this makes sense... Basically, my router refused to connect to the internet through my power book's shared connection, and my PC didn't seem to be checking anything other than the router for a connection.

Make sure that NAT and DHCP are turned off in your router, both settings will conflict with internet sharing from a PC/Mac on a network.

Thanks. I'll have to try that tomorrow.

My only question is that as soon as I turn internet sharing on, I am no long connected to the network that I want to share it with. I cannot use my airport card to be connected to a wireless network while also trying to share my internet connection through my airport card. I may be wrong, but last time I turned internet sharing on, it took me right off of my network.

Another question turned up today... I got my network working rather nicely for the first time ever (it involved resetting the router and starting from scratch). I turned on Windows Sharing and it worked very well; too well actually. My PC now seems to have full access to my Mac. I can create and delete files, and access everything I have tried to access so far. Now for the scary part, I never had to log in with my PC or type any passwords. I'm on a university lan, and I am just afraid that anyone who looks for it will have the same access to my mac. For now I am just going to hope that I tried logging in a while ago and told my PC to remember my name and password.

For internet sharing, although I haven't had the need to use it, basically it's for routing so if it's wired you'd need 2 ethernet, or share the wireless and connect through the wired to the university network, think of it as the shared port being the LAN side and the port you connect to the university the WAN side like on your router.

As for the security issue if your username and password are the same on your PC as your Mac that would easily explain why you didn't have to type in your username and password.

Back