Mac Address Clone?

Funky_Junk

Limp Gawd
Hi, I needed to change my IP address, so somebody suggested I use the MAC address clone feature in my router. I did clone my mac address, and I got a new IP, but I was wondering if cloning my MAC address would anyhow affect the speed of my internet connection (make it slower or something). Thanks.

Hi, I needed to change my IP address, so somebody suggested I use the MAC address clone feature in my router. I did clone my mac address, and I got a new IP, but I was wondering if cloning my MAC address would anyhow affect the speed of my internet connection (make it slower or something). Thanks.

It wont make a difference at all.

Some ISP's tie your internet assignment to the physical address (MAC address) of your router. I don't think many or them do it so much now as they used to. It has nothing to do with speed. It's more of a security issue.

I was able to use the MAC address clone on my Linksys router to change my IP. I have cable service and they give out IPs via the MAC address, so it worked out well for me. I still have the same IP, 2 years later. I just moved to IPCop and I dont care to keep my old IP so I have not tried to "clone" the MAC address on my new setup. It will not effect the performace of your internet.

Back