M10000 and Mame32

sandmanx

[H]F Junkie
I currently have a M10000 that I bought a couple of years ago for a carputer project. I eventually abanded the carputer, but I recently decided it would make a great pvr/mame boxen. I may eventually install mythtv on it, but for now, I just want to use mame on the machine, so I can use my Xarcade controller on my tv.

It has Win2K, 256MB ram, and a 40GB 5400rpm 2.5" drive on it. I can start and play mame32 with it, but it locks up if I enable triple buffering on directdraw. Does anyone know why this is happening?

It's also outputting pretty shitty color purity via svideo. I'm thinking of getting adapter to go from vga to dvi-a eventually, since my crt hdtv has a dvi port, but I don't feel like messing with hdtv timings right now. Any ideas on this as well?

So I guess no one else is using mame on an EPIA board? I *think* it could be the relatively low amount of video ram, but I'm not sure.

you probably can run all the basic games like ms. pacman and others on it. There is no way you'll run the 3d games like Ex Plus Alpha.

If you want to be sure you can handle Street Fighter Alpha 3 get a 5200 PCI Card for the Epia and you'll be dandy. My Mame Machine handles mostly all the games I put on it, but i'm not sure if its processor or video dependent.

With the Epia its cool when you can just throw it on an older crt tv screen as the games look much more arcade-like compared to a computer monitor.

Qwertyman said:
you probably can run all the basic games like ms. pacman and others on it. There is no way you'll run the 3d games like Ex Plus Alpha.

If you want to be sure you can handle Street Fighter Alpha 3 get a 5200 PCI Card for the Epia and you'll be dandy. My Mame Machine handles mostly all the games I put on it, but i'm not sure if its processor or video dependent.

With the Epia its cool when you can just throw it on an older crt tv screen as the games look much more arcade-like compared to a computer monitor.

I'm not big into 3d games anyways, I mainly want to play SF2 and older. The most challenging thing I'd throw at it is MK3, if it has the cpu power. I don't really care much about 3d arcade gaming much.

Yeah, I'm playing on my 27" CRT that is HDTV ready. I've got it going into an svideo input, and it is much nicer than playing on a computer monitor. The Xarcade also makes it feel much more arcade-like. :D

Back