• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

M-Audio Revolution 7.1

md262626

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 8, 2003
Messages
1,259
There is a sockets S0IC8 chip on the Revo that numbered as a 24LC028. I was wondering if anyone knew what the chip is. I love to experiment and if I know its a buffer or op amp I can experiment accordingly. I Googled the above number with no luck, but that doesn't surprise me as the chip is probably proprietary. Anyone know what this socketed chip is?
 
Just out of curiosity, why is it socketed if you happen to know? Isn't firmware sort of like a BIOS in that it's flashable? Also, wouldn't it need some sort of battery to keep the firmware in memory?
 
EEPROM stands for electrically erasable programmable read only memory, as I'm sure you know. This would mean that it would not need a battery and it would be flashable, meaning it would work great for firmware (which pretty well rewrites the chip). I have no clue why it's socketed.
 
Thanks for making me smarter;) What type of memory is the BIOS chip that requires a battery?
 
Originally posted by md262626
Thanks for making me smarter;) What type of memory is the BIOS chip that requires a battery?

If I where to hazard a guess, I'd say CMOS :)

Cheers,

Mr. Pain

-- I could be wrong however :eek:
 
I'm going to email M-Audio and ask them straight out what the heck that socketed IC is.
 
Back
Top