• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

M Audio 5.1

I had one for two years before I ditched it for a X-FI two weeks ago. The card is absolute trash and as you can see by the lack of updates (in other words..never) their drivers are trash as well. The software they supply doesn't work properly in decoding down to multi channels and their EAX support that they claim to have through Sensura absolutely blows not to mention that their tech support is the worst that I've ever seen. I emailed tech and sent them a .doc document like they requested and they sent me an email back saying that they couldn't open that extention. If they can't figure out how to open a Word Pad document how the hell are they going to be able to figure out a serious problem with my Sensura not working right? At one point I thought it was a good card until I tried using the line in port which none of my audio programs recognized so I bought an XFI (after swearing never to go back to Creative) and I realized just how bad the Revolution really is. I will hold a grudge against M-audio until the day I die for wasting $80 on that pile of shit.
 
EAX support blows. Sound works in all games I've played. Their drivers are at least fine if you listen to music or just play games (not sure about recording/microphone since I don't use those).

That's the simplicity of it all. They don't update their drivers, and I'm guessing Blown is complaining about the support of "extra features", but I'll tell you one thing: ASIO + Foobar2000 works well.

Overall, the sound is pretty decent, better than my old SB Live! ...so consider this, what are you going to be using this for? If it's as simple as what I use it for, then you should have no problems at all.
 
I've had a good experience with the M-Audio 7.1 so far. I've only had it for about a month though.

Sound quality is excellent. Configuration is easy (both Windows and Linux if you care).
 
I really like my Revolution 5.1 with native ASIO output. Bit Perfect music sounds fantastic. Phonograph records converted to FLAC also sound very good. My experiences with Creative cards have not been good.
 
I used a M Audio 7.1 card in my rig, and the drivers didn't play nice with my ATI AIW 9800. The audio would never pause with the video, and the audio would stay on even after I closed out of all the programs. Conflicts galore. I switched to my motherboard inputs and outputs and all the problems went away. The sound output in general when listenning to cds and mp3s was really nice. All the reviews are correct about that. Never had a chance to hook it up to any large speaker systems.

I jumped on this card when it had just came out and everyone was praising it, and looking back it was the worst hardware purchase choice I made over the years.

 
Dont ask about a music card on a forum frequented by people who are just looking for game performance. Read up on head-fi.org and you will read real reviews.
 
corrosive23 said:
Dont ask about a music card on a forum frequented by people who are just looking for game performance. Read up on head-fi.org and you will read real reviews.

definitely.

i personally love this card (Revo 7.1). i bought it during the compusa special, and the envy24ht at the time was probably the best analog experience. the drivers are okay, while no update but i have never had a problem with it in all of the years that i've been using it. why update it when theres no issues? would it make you feel better for them to release placebo drivers? all the games i play sounds fine, and the music (KS + Foobar) is absolutely astonishing compared to my old SBLive. I cannot comment on EAX support, as I never use it in games.. I feel that it distorts sound a bit too much for my likings anyway, plus this card doesnt support hardware EAX.

i dont know how to solve the AIW 9800 problem, but I never gotten any conflicts and i'm using an AIW 9700P. I switched to a dedicated PVR card a year ago though.


i will admit though that their release drivers on CDs that came with the card were pretty buggy. but after the driver updates, it fixed everything.
 
One should never, NEVER, EVER, use drivers that come on CDs, unless you have no internet access at all. Online updates are the best way to keep oneself in the clear when it comes to driver problem resolution.
 
corrosive23 said:
Dont ask about a music card on a forum frequented by people who are just looking for game performance. Read up on head-fi.org and you will read real reviews.
Hahahaha, I had to laugh after reading this. The OP asked if it works in games hence the responses about its performance in games. FWIW I'm not a gamer and I still think this card blows compared to its competition.
 
Blown 89 said:
Hahahaha, I had to laugh after reading this. The OP asked if it works in games hence the responses about its performance in games. FWIW I'm not a gamer and I still think this card blows compared to its competition.

Does this thing work OK in games?

Sure it does. It's not a bad choice for music either. At its pricepoint, it isn't really good or bad, it's about on par with its competition, imo.
 
Back
Top