lowering Windows/2D power consumption

needmorecarnitine

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Feb 10, 2004
Messages
4,609
Looking to see what kind of options there are for lowering power consumption on two videocards. Mostly the GTS250 but also the 4890

I bought one of the Galaxy GTS250 on sale but not really sure if I want to keep it because I like low powered cards. I don't game a lot.


What kind of software choices are there? Do they just underclock or can I do that and undervolt also? Any comparisons on how much of a drop on power consumption?
 
4890 is out of the question on low power.. things a juice drinker.. the GTS 250 is not to bad since it will automatically downclock.. but you can try lowering it even more with rivatuner.. though some cards will only go so low before they start becoming unstable.. tried it with my 8800GT.. wouldnt go any lower then 400mhz on the gpu before it would BSOD..
 
the GTS 250 is not to bad since it will automatically downclock.. but you can try lowering it even more with rivatuner.. though some cards will only go so low before they start becoming unstable.. tried it with my 8800GT.. wouldnt go any lower then 400mhz on the gpu before it would BSOD..


Thanks. I'm looking for this kind of info, I already am aware of which cards are low power.


anyone have experience with the GTS250?
 
Thanks. I'm looking for this kind of info, I already am aware of which cards are low power.


anyone have experience with the GTS250?


just look for the numbers on a 9800GTX+ the GTS250 is just a rebranded version of that.. im sure there are downclocked numbers some where on the net for them..
 
Given a specific card, the easiest ways to lower power consumption are to lower clockspeeds, lower voltage, and lower load. Rivatuner is a great program to do this with, and you can also use the program Nibitor will actually allow you to edit the BIOS directly and edit voltages and clockspeeds.
 
Back
Top