Low FPS in games

Irishllama

[H]ard|Gawd
Alright, I"m getting pretty low FPS in games such as WoW, and BF2. I"m thinking this is not normal because I have a 7800GT and 3800 X2, in WoW, my average FPS in small towns is only 50ish and the settings are not even all the way up. BF2 is not as bad, but I have everything turned down, even then I sometimes lag in the jet or chopter. Any ideas?

1GB of Ballistix, All drivers are up to date for every piece of hardware.

Now I know the ram is somewhat holding me back, but even on my laptop with a lesser ATI card, and 1gb of ram, I could have all settings at medium for WoW and get 60+Fps in MAJOR cities.

Have you tried affixing the game's processor affinity to one of the cores?

Word on the street is that battlefield 2 performs really well with 2GB of ram..., but with your graphics card/ CPU I don't understand why you may be having any problems...

Alot of things can cause poor FPS in games. things such as programs running in the background, Poor setup, such as having the setting in the drivers turned all the way up and set to high Quality, (these can be overriding your ingame settings).
Your 1 gig of Ram could also be upgraded, Both BF2 and WoW run alot better with 2gigs.
your not saying what Res your trying to run these games at either, that as alot to do with performance also.
Before I run Games I run a program "enditall 2" it is an app that closes all the unneeded programs to help get the full performance out of your computer, Also run a good Anti-spyware program to get rid of anything there, and of course run a good Anti-Virus to make sure your not hosting any trojans. Set you drivers to App Controlled on things like AA and AF and turn the other setting down a little also. Update all your drivers and then see how things are running.

Diablo2K said:
Alot of things can cause poor FPS in games. things such as programs running in the background, Poor setup, such as having the setting in the drivers turned all the way up and set to high Quality, (these can be overriding your ingame settings).
Your 1 gig of Ram could also be upgraded, Both BF2 and WoW run alot better with 2gigs.
your not saying what Res your trying to run these games at either, that as alot to do with performance also.
Before I run Games I run a program "enditall 2" it is an app that closes all the unneeded programs to help get the full performance out of your computer, Also run a good Anti-spyware program to get rid of anything there, and of course run a good Anti-Virus to make sure your not hosting any trojans. Set you drivers to App Controlled on things like AA and AF and turn the other setting down a little also. Update all your drivers and then see how things are running.

True on the ram, but I am getting the same performance as my laptop, which has a much less Videocard, and sam ram. I close all app's and only have System processes running, Spyware is fine, anti virus runs every morning @ 4am. Driver settings set to Application controlled.

i have the same exact system as you , just oc'ed to 2.7 but even at stock speeds i was able to handle World OF Warcraft at 2048x1536 (fully maxed out high everything) , an battlefield 2 at 1600x1200 fully maxed out fine...

get all the hot fixes ?

There are patches/fixes for dual-core processors specifically related to gaming performance. Is there not? I think both from Microsoft and AMD. I may be mistaken, though...

BTW... with the specs of your system you should get 1280x1024 EASY with everything bumped up. There be something seriously wrong here... All suggestions so far are good, though. Are you gaming on an LCD or CRT?

Yes, there is a problem with any nvidia driver over 77.xx. After those, they added dual core support in the drivers but to the unlucky masses, it causes a lot more problems.

Be lucky that you can at least play. There are a lot of people that can not run games(source engine games a big problem) at the moment for the newer drivers cause BSOD after a short time.

There should be new drivers soon since the 7900 is going to be launched at the beginning of March.

Just put up with the it for now till the new drivers come out for the vid card.

Ouch, this sucks, so I spent all this money to get better performance with a laptop... Well thanks for the help, yeah there was a problem with X2's and WoW, I installed the hotfix for it, and it worked but FPS was still low, Im going to keep fooling around and see if I can get something to give and boost me to the norm.

try playing higher resolution if you can? , im using the latest drivers off nvidias site an they dont lock up for me or anything i played source for 3 hrs last nite w/o a hitch ran even better than the 77.77's :)

I updated drivers for vid card, and it's a tad better in WoW, still even in a city such as Tanaris, my FPS drops to mid 40's with all settings turned up, I up'd my reso, and made sure Vsync was off.

i get around 60ish in WoW @ ironforge with everything completly maxed out at 1600x1200...

CrAzYsPyDeR said:
i get around 60ish in WoW @ ironforge with everything completly maxed out at 1600x1200...

Ugh, see I've heard that from other people, I have no clue what's going on, I also upped my refresh rate to 75, oh and btw I'm on CRT atm

Back