Low cost wireless router with basic QoS needed

HDClown

Limp Gawd
I need to find a couple options for a lower cost wireless router that has basic QoS support. Never really looked at QoS features in your typical $50-150 routers, so looking for some suggestions. I am not interested in loading DD-WRT/Tomato, so please don't suggest that.

I am going to be connected some hosted VoIP phones behind the router (from 8x8) and want to make sure I have a router which will honor the tags that come into the router, so it prioriizes the Voice packets of regular data when things are sent in/out of the router and through the routers LAN ports.

And yes, I realize there will be no QoS once it leads the router to the internet.

Anything brand wise you have in mind or just looking for any suggestions.

I'm open to anything. Trying to stay under $200 new if not even better. I'd typically go for something like a SonicWall TZ100W but it's above this clients budget. If I can't really get anything in the target price range, I may just need to get the client to spend the money on a SonicWall

My niece just got a DLink DIR 655 from amazon for $70 shipped. I set it up for her & it has the QoS option as well as many others too. Seems like a nice unit, has been going strong for over 2 weeks now with her VoIP/Skype/webcams etc nottaproblemo

#1. If the client can't spend $200 on a frackin Sonicwall, tell them they're cheap. They obviously don't know what these things cost, so they have no basis in saying what is cheap or expensive. What's their point of reference? Consumer routers at Best Buy?

#2. Some firewalls with multiple switch ports do not have QoS or filtering applied when it goes from a LAN port to another LAN port. You might want to check that on whatever choice you make.

Customers don't care "what things cost". They care about how much money they are willing to spend, simple as that. My job is to try and find something that meets all the requirements that I know are necessary, within the price range they want to spend.

If it doesn't exist, then the client gets to decide if they spend more money to get a device that will meet all technical requirements, or stick to their price range and have potential quality issues.

PS a SonicWall TZ100W is about $320, and then it needs another $70 on top of that for support for the first year, primarily to be able to get firmware updates. So, for a small little 3 person business who is literally pulling strings to save $10 here and $10 there, it's a big difference to them.

If the budget is that low and they only have 3 people, what is the aversion to dd-wrt? It should do most of what they want for the price. You'll also gain a method to remotely support them (PPTP, OpenVPN) that is free.

Back