• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Lossless-->WAV-->MP3

dchrsf

Gawd
Joined
Oct 12, 2005
Messages
842
I need to convert a lossless wma to a MP3 in the most efficient way. Wouldnt upping the quality to a WAV, then encoding to MP3 preserve it persey "better" than doing a straight WMA to MP3 conversion?
 
Your encoder probably already performs a WAV conversion before doing MP3 conversion, so converting from WMA to WAV would be a pointless step. Your software should document the process.
 
I dont thing DBPowerAmp tells me exactly what it is doing, but I will just convert them to MP3 and do a listen test. Shouldnt be too much of an impact. I was just afraid as I know conversions from lossy to lossy can be bad, but wasent sure in the case of a wma "lossless".

Thank you. I often come up with these simple but "just to make sure" questions lol.
 
dchrsf said:
I need to convert a lossless wma to a MP3 in the most efficient way. Wouldnt upping the quality to a WAV, then encoding to MP3 preserve it persey "better" than doing a straight WMA to MP3 conversion?

When you convert a lossless file of any type to WAV, you don't "up" the quality or change the data at all. WAV is the most basic raw audio format, meaning any file can be converted to it with no loss in audio quality, given that sampling rate and bitrate remain the same.

As I understand it, when the lossless file is decoded, it's turned into a WAV format automatically, unless your converter uses some really exotic conversion process.
 
dchrsf said:
I dont thing DBPowerAmp tells me exactly what it is doing, but I will just convert them to MP3 and do a listen test. Shouldnt be too much of an impact. I was just afraid as I know conversions from lossy to lossy can be bad, but wasent sure in the case of a wma "lossless".

Thank you. I often come up with these simple but "just to make sure" questions lol.
Lossy to Lossy would still be bad even if you put a WAV step in the middle.... just so that you know. Theres no such thing as ever upping the quality
 
Ah, I understand now. That explains why custom cds sound worse after burned from MP3 & ripped.

I got all those lossless things converted to MP3 on the iPod now, and they still sound really good. Did the LAME Standard VBR Preset. Can't tell a difference.

Later guys, thanks.
 
Back
Top