Looking into SFF, suggestions?

Bennyb

2[H]4U
I might be purchasing one of these systems in the near future. This would most certinally be a budget system to say the least. Parts that i would already have for it would be the vidcard, and thats about it.

I would be willing to go AMD but i know little to nothing about these systems. This would be a secondary system for mainly playing games like, half life, hl2 (when it comes out, and at reasonable settings), q3, warcraft3... lalala, the 9600pro should handle that. So it would be safe to assume, say like 2500? 2600? I really dont want to have to deal with cooling issues so overclocking is not an option.

Other misc parts which i would like included would be:

250gig harddrive
cd burner
512 ram

and thats basiclly it. So, if you're in the thread and you are reading this and possibly have a suggestion, gimme it because im open to whatever.

Shuttle SN45G should fit the bill.

If you plan on upgrading the videocard to a 9800Pro or higher, instead get the SN41G2 V2.

Nice... wait lemme get this straight. Is the cpu cooled by heatpipes?

Is the 41, any different speed wise?

Yeah the heatpipes draw the heat away from the cpu, and up to the fins that the main fan blows across. Works pretty well.

The chipset that comes with the sn41g2 doesn't support FSBs higher than 333. For the Athlons with a FSB of 400, you'll need the sn45g.

If you want quiet:

SN45GV2 (when it comes out)
mobile 2500+ (lower voltage=less heat)
sapphire ultimate 9600 xt
samsung spinpoint hdd (not sure if there are any that high capacity though)
replace ICE fan with SIlenX, noiseblocker, or sharkoon

So if i were to get an Athlon XP 2600+ Barton i wouldn't need the 45 right?

Oh and i dont think i made this clear in the first post but, i already have a 9600pro so vidcard isnt a factor, the only things that matter are:

CPU
Shuttle Model
Harddrive
Memory

In the memory department, if i get a 333fsb proc i would only need 2700 ram right?

Edit- im looking right now, and it looks like all the sn41g2 are more expensive than the sn45g2... huh?

I would suggest the SN45G's because they don't have the premium that is associated with the IGP. That is why they are cheaper. If you get DDR400 ram, then you can overclock better with it. You could probably get a mobile proc to do 11x200 at 1.55v.

I agree with the above posts the SN45G is a great buy, and cheap too. I've seen Aria.co.uk with loads of Shuttle combos in their deal for today.

Andy

I'd only recommend getting the SN45G if you're buying it from either the UK or Australia. You wont find the V2 (the one with the 250W SilentX powersupply) anywhere else.

i have a monarch hornet pro barebone, and its very nice, spacious, but its matx and not flex-atx, using a swiftech cooler and have a artic cooling silencer on my 9800pro, the artic cooling silencer drpped my cpu idle/load temps by 4c..

Drawshot said:
The chipset that comes with the sn41g2 doesn't support FSBs higher than 333. For the Athlons with a FSB of 400, you'll need the sn45g.
v2 of the Sn41G2 will almost always do 400 if you have the ram for it. I have done 180 even with the IGP. 200 was easy with AGP card... but it really is locked there, as you can't increase above that.

Really, for your stated needs either the SN41G2 or the SN45G will do the job, V2 or not doesn't matter (especially since it is more expensive). The only real difference for you will be that the integrated video on the SN41G2 could act as a backup in case your video card dies. Then there is the question of aesthetics, if they matter to you. Slap a 2500+ in either one and you're good to go.

Psychosylph said:
Really, for your stated needs either the SN41G2 or the SN45G will do the job, V2 or not doesn't matter (especially since it is more expensive). The only real difference for you will be that the integrated video on the SN41G2 could act as a backup in case your video card dies. Then there is the question of aesthetics, if they matter to you. Slap a 2500+ in either one and you're good to go.

How can you say the V2 doesnt matter? (and that it's more expensive?).

The SN45Gv2 isnt even in the States yet (and when or if it comes it will replace the older one).
The V2 comes with not only a larger PS (250W), it's also a SilentX (meaning it's much much more quiet than the original 200W powersupply). You've also got better cable routing design in the V2.

His stated needs were to go budget. Yes, the new version comes with a more powerful PSU (which isn't a need unless you are overclocking - maybe; I've overclocked on a standard 200W w/o any problems but I am not trying to push extreme voltages, either) which is supposedly quieter. I haven't noticed that it is that much quieter, more a different pitch. Better cable routing would be nice (I hate the one that runs between the video card and the shell), but not necessary. As a negative, by adjusting the VDIMM in a V2 you can kill the mobo - no such problem with a V1.

On the subject of price, though, the V2 is $40 more expensive at NewEgg. Further, he CAN get a used one and save even more - can't do that with a V2.

So, really, the advantages of a V2 boil down to the new power supply; should he buy a newer V2 just for that? If he really wanted he could put that in at a later date.

r3negade said:
How can you say the V2 doesnt matter? (and that it's more expensive?).

The SN45Gv2 isnt even in the States yet (and when or if it comes it will replace the older one).
The V2 comes with not only a larger PS (250W), it's also a SilentX (meaning it's much much more quiet than the original 200W powersupply). You've also got better cable routing design in the V2.

The V2 ISNT available in the North America. There's a big difference between the rev2 mobo and the V2 XPC.
And from my understanding ALL V1's now use the rev2 mobo (the one with the vdimm problem)... Even the NEW V2 shuttles use the rev2 mobos. The only way I know of getting a rev1 mobo in the SN45G (V1) is to either buy it used or to get it as a refurb or old stock somewhere.

The V2 is only available in the UK and in Australia (possibly in Asia and some other european countries as well).

And the PC40 isnt just about the added wattage (even though that's always a plus, especially if you're running a couple of hdd's, and a high end vid card like the 9800 AIW), but IMHO, the BIGGEST advantage to the PC40 is the sound. The thing is much more quiet than the older 200W powersupply.
There's also the fact that the SilentX gives much better airflow, and doesnt run anywhere nearly as hot as the older 200W (and even 220W) stock achmes.

That being said, since he probably can't get the SN45Gv2, I'd suggest the SN41G2v2 (or the V3 if it ends up getting released before the 45G2v2's hit the market here).

Psychosylph said:
His stated needs were to go budget. Yes, the new version comes with a more powerful PSU (which isn't a need unless you are overclocking - maybe; I've overclocked on a standard 200W w/o any problems but I am not trying to push extreme voltages, either) which is supposedly quieter. I haven't noticed that it is that much quieter, more a different pitch. Better cable routing would be nice (I hate the one that runs between the video card and the shell), but not necessary. As a negative, by adjusting the VDIMM in a V2 you can kill the mobo - no such problem with a V1.

On the subject of price, though, the V2 is $40 more expensive at NewEgg. Further, he CAN get a used one and save even more - can't do that with a V2.

So, really, the advantages of a V2 boil down to the new power supply; should he buy a newer V2 just for that? If he really wanted he could put that in at a later date.

Enough with the V2 versus rev2 stuff - we're probably confusing the original poster. ;) Suffice it to say that I am well aware of the different revisions and versions...

To simplify:

SN41G2: Has integrated video, G2 case, 200W PSU, available in US

SN45G: No integrated video, G1 case, 200W PSU, available in US

SN41G2V2: Has integrated video, G2 case, 250W PSU, available in US

SN45GV2: No integrated video, G1 case, 250W PSU, not available in US

NOTE: Do not touch the VDIMM on any model EXCEPT an SN45G w/ ver. 1.0 motherboard (check silkscreen on board itself - this will ONLY be available if you find it used.)

Really, the bone of contention is the 250W PSU; is it worth it? Yes, it's nice to have the added wattage, but I have not found it to be necessary. Supposedly it is quieter, but my experience is that it has more of a different pitch than being that much quieter and I think this doesn't matter that much as the noisiest thing in my systems (I have 3) is the video card (as, I think, the case would be with this system). I agree that it is cooler, but from my experience this does not change the temperature of the system much - the benefits seem to be mostly confined to the PSU itself rather than to the system which, I would think, would lead to greater longevity of the power supply but no real advantage to the system.

To be honest, I just don't see the advantages of paying $285 for an SN41G2V2 when you can get a new SN45G or SN41G2 for $230-240 or, even better, a used one for $180-220 (depending on model). You could even get a used one and put in the 250W PSU and save money, if you were convinced that it were worthy of the price premium (having owned it, I'm not).

Just trying to stay in the budget...

Back