looking for the perfect desk

Quak3R

Gawd
Joined
Mar 24, 2005
Messages
525
Gents,
I'm moving to FL and im in the market for a real desk, the one Ive been using in ct was a hand me down from a buddy. Looking at the show your workstation thread but nobody posts thier furniture brands and models. Anybody have any recomendations on brands and models for a 2 or 3 monitor eyefinity setup with enough space for mouse and keyboard ?
 
Gents,
I'm moving to FL and im in the market for a real desk, the one Ive been using in ct was a hand me down from a buddy. Looking at the show your workstation thread but nobody posts thier furniture brands and models. Anybody have any recomendations on brands and models for a 2 or 3 monitor eyefinity setup with enough space for mouse and keyboard ?

Finding the perfect desk is hard. Your best bet to buy is probably Ikea, Or there is always the DIY method.
 
Ikea Galant is a great line of desks.

the only problem I have with Ikea is the same as I have with everyone else. They don't go big enough. & When you get to even decent size there is a seem on the surface. Thats the only reason I built my own, because the Ikea's look snazzy, hence Mine uses Ikea legs & looks an awful lot like one in general.
 
For cheap + customizable, I suggest Ikea Vika Amon and Vika Curry legs. For expensive + customizable, I'd suggest Ikea Galant. If you're lucky, you can find a jerker on CL for rather cheap (typically $50).

This is my old setup:
I had this setup a couple years ago...
Vika Amon Tabletop, 39.4" x 23.6", $10
Vika Amon Tabletop, 59" x 29.5", $30
Vika Curry Legs x8, $4 each ($32)
Simpson metal joint/strap + screws from Home Depot, <$10

Held my CRT pretty well, and gave me a lot of desktop space for only $90.
vika_amon_x2_rated_g.jpg

DIY is awesome cuz you can fully customize everything, but I figure if you were into that, you wouldn't be here asking for desk suggestions. /shrug

... When you get to even decent size there is a seem on the surface. ...
The seem is nearly seemless to me now, with the Simpson bracket holding them together (which also allowed me to move the leg out of the way).
 
Last edited:
2600 bucks; id be living in my college days with ramen noodles and kool-aid for the next two months lol
 
You can't beat a folding table.

Inexpensive, sturdy, with lots of space 5ft wide or more, and lots of leg room. Also easy to move.
 
You can't beat a folding table.

Inexpensive, sturdy, with lots of space 5ft wide or more, and lots of leg room. Also easy to move.

My 22" CRT beat up a folding table (from costco) pretty bad over the course of 3 quarters. :p
 
You can't beat a folding table.

Inexpensive, sturdy, with lots of space 5ft wide or more, and lots of leg room. Also easy to move.

Thats the worst recommendation possible to anyone who has ever hit there knees on those damn diagonals on the legs. Freeking OUCH
 
Thats the worst recommendation possible to anyone who has ever hit there knees on those damn diagonals on the legs. Freeking OUCH

U think thats an ouch?! I lost a big toenail to a folding table that didn't have round rubber feet! (they were the old ones w/ the metal tab-like feet)
 
I hate to say it, but I'd trade my jerker for comparable quality corner desk in a heartbeat.
 
Back
Top