• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Looking for specific internal backplane

_hunter

n00b
Joined
Jul 8, 2011
Messages
3
Greetings,

I'm looking for very (as I understand now) specific SATA/SAS internal backplane: it should take 4 x 3.5" HDD, fit into 3 x 5.25", and more important -- it should have SFF-8087 mini-SAS connector. If there would be SATA molex (instead of old-one PATA) -- it would be just great.
So far I've found only one item: RaidAge / iStarUSA jAGE34R40MS (AKA NetStor NS160S). But it's marked as EOL, thus it very hard to buy...
And I hope that someone knows similar (newer) backplane, which could be bought freely...

Best regards...
 
Interesting hdd cage but it's missing the main thing. The error led. You're supposed to trigger an error led when you have a bad hdd, to know what hdd to take out. Otherwise, you might as well use no cage at all.
 
I do not have any cages with error leds yet I find the cages very useful for my arrays at work. To find a drive if I can not get it to read or write (activating the access led) I have a script that pings every disk and use a process of elimination to find the bad disk. This works fine in servers with 20 drives in 4 5in3s.

Edit: I guess if you had HW raid that did not allow access to individual drives this method would be impossible. I do not use HW raid on my linux servers at work.
 
Back
Top