• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Looking for speaker help.

mknawabi

Limp Gawd
2FA
Joined
Jul 13, 2005
Messages
269
Now im a complete noob when it comes to speakers, but i would like to get something together and finally treat my ears to some nice sounds. I have been listening to some cheap midiland 2.1 speakers, and my Plantronics DSP500s.. so nothing special (compared to what you guys have.)

Anyway, I want to go semi-all out now. I have been looking at the Insignia bookshelf speakers (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7705307&type=product&id=1138085354138 .... is that 2 bookshelf speakers for 50?)

I also dont know this whole receiver business, all i know is i need one to power the speakers. What would be suggested as a good receiver? all i want is something that allows me to connect the speakers to the computer. what else should i know about them?

I also would like to plug in a nice little subwoofer into this entire system to get some bass pumping when i play some hip hop songs.

Now, I dont need the absolute best sounding speakers, etc.. and im within a budget of about $200-250.. So, what sub/receiver should i get?

PS. Im only interested in a 2.1 System.
 
I'll let you decide on a sub (can't stand them right now).

As for speakers, this is how it goes:
If your speakers are "passive", a receiver (or preamp and amp) will work.
If your speakers are "active", you don't need a receiver.

If you are looking at 50$ speakers, don't expect great sound quality (from what you said, you wanted to go semi-all out). But you can still get *ok* sound from a budget setup.

Basically, just buy 2 speakers, and get a receiver. Plug the receiver into your sound card, and hook the speakers to the receiver. Simple as Pi.

As for a receiver, if you are going to cheap out and get 50$ speakers, then you don't need a world class receiver (heck, even some budget vintage receivers would do). If you insist on a sub, then you will want to find a receiver that has a dedicated sub channel (and perhapse a sub preamp out if your sub will be powered).

I've always found the cheap Denon receivers to be decent for the price.
Something like this for 270$us would suite your needs: http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/item/MARSR4500

~Hope this helps
 
towert7 said:
I've always found the cheap Denon receivers to be decent for the price.
Something like this for 270$us would suite your needs: http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/item/MARSR4500

~Hope this helps
Actually, if OP were to also throw in some Advent Heritage speakers into his shopping cart, he could get the whole shebang shipped for free (free shipping promo at accessories4less). AVS has a good thread on the Advent speakers and it's fairly unanimous that they sound better than the insignia's, and are supposedly compareable to Infinity Primus and others in the $200 a pair category. Check out posts # 11 and 102 for pics of the innards. The free shipping coupon won't work with the receiver alone, but it works when you also have speakers in your shopping cart (coupon = shipspeakers).

I'll be getting the Advent center, and a pair of the H200 bookshelfs via fed-ex on monday or tuesday :). Going to try them out as the frontstage in a 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1 configuration and see what sounds best. I'm likely to sell one pair of my Insignia's to a co-worker ;).
 
towert7 said:
As for a receiver, if you are going to cheap out and get 50$ speakers, then you don't need a world class receiver (heck, even some budget vintage receivers would do). If you insist on a sub, then you will want to find a receiver that has a dedicated sub channel (and perhapse a sub preamp out if your sub will be powered).
I'm not too sure about budget vintage receivers, but fairly nice, older units (such as Marantz, Fisher and Harman Kardon) were "world class" for their time and can sound just as good or better than some modern equivalents and cost far less. There's a little risk in buying these older units, but they can end up being a great value.

A dedicated sub channel output (typically referred to as LFE outputs) isn't necessary, depending on the subwoofer. Some units have speaker level inputs and have two sets of speaker level outputs that go to then go to the main speaker inputs. In this case, the sub is handling crossover duties.
 
phide said:
I'm not too sure about budget vintage receivers, but fairly nice, older units (such as Marantz, Fisher and Harman Kardon) were "world class" for their time and can sound just as good or better than some modern equivalents and cost far less. There's a little risk in buying these older units, but they can end up being a great value.
My mistake. That's what I meant, but I can see how it wasn't clear. Yea, compared to a new receiver, you can get some old vintage receivers for a good price if you don't need a lot of the newer features. Great if you're on a tight budget.
 
SJetski71 said:
Actually, if OP were to also throw in some Advent Heritage speakers into his shopping cart, he could get the whole shebang shipped for free (free shipping promo at accessories4less.
Ah, even better.
 
What about the Insignia bookshelfs from BB? I've heard that they destroy multimedia speakers for the price (although of course, better bookshelves can be had).
 
Cyrilix said:
What about the Insignia bookshelfs from BB? I've heard that they destroy multimedia speakers for the price (although of course, better bookshelves can be had).
That's what the OP originally had in mind, and probably what i would have recommended had i not stumbled upon the Advent speaker deal i posted above ;)
 
Back
Top