Looking for software to automate file transfers

Stugots

Supreme [H]ardness
Right now I manage about 50 machines, and on each machine I have to write/install individual scripts to handle transferring files to 3rd party companies via FTP, SFTP, or FTPS. I'm looking to centralize and automate this process so that instead of each server making connections to the 3rd party companies, I want to make it so each server sends the files to a central transfer server where they are categorized and transferred from one location instead of 50.

Does anybody know of any product that can accomplish this? I would prefer that it runs on Linux/Unix, but if necessary Windows will do.

Can you setup a network share/folder/drive on the client machines that points to your centralized server, and can the desired files generated by the client machines be written to that network location? If so, then there's your solution.

The client machines can only send files to the centralized server by FTP. This is due to a limitation to the application that is generating the files. I could probably write a workaround script to get it to work with NFS shares, but I'm trying to simplify things not make them more complicated.

Also, the 3rd party vendors will ONLY accept files by SFTP/FTPS.

The client machines can only send files to the centralized server by FTP. This is due to a limitation to the application that is generating the files. I could probably write a workaround script to get it to work with NFS shares, but I'm trying to simplify things not make them more complicated.
But can the application write it to a local directory? If so, you could tell it to write to a path that (transparent to the application) is actually mapped to a network location. Or have it write to a local directory on the client machine, and have a background watcher or periodic job that copies/moves files to the desired drop location on your network server.

But can the application write it to a local directory? If so, you could tell it to write to a path that (transparent to the application) is actually mapped to a network location. Or have it write to a local directory on the client machine, and have a background watcher or periodic job that copies/moves files to the desired drop location on your network server.

The application on the client has a builtin FTP transfer facility to send the files off the host. The files are written to a directory, but I do not want to add any more custom scripts on the clients as they are pretty much just appliances that we happen to have root access to.

I'm looking for a product on the transfer box that sits between the client server and the 3rd party internet server to watch for incoming files, examine the files for certain criteria, and send if off to it's destination.

Back