Looking for a small video camera for covert recording - visiting worst places India

Cerulean

[H]F Junkie
Greetings,

In the future there is a possibility that I will be going to India on business. If I do have the opportunity and go, one of the things I am personally interested in on time off while in India is finding and asking someone to show me some of the worst places/really bad parts of India if possible. I would like to record this too, but I don't want to make recording it my focus, and obvious do not want to be hauling a DSLR around either. I don't want people to notice that I am recording or have a camera on me either. I'm not terribly concerned about having a super high quality 1080p60 covert hidden camera etcetera, just looking for something simple that could perform a simple task. If it can accept SDXC cards, that would be awesome because then I could use a 32GB or possibly my 128GB card (battery will be the only bottleneck unless there are some extenders or something).

Any suggestions? I'm not too familiar with the realm of very small covert-like video cameras

GoPro Hero 3 would be my first suggestion. Small, Hi-Def, wide-angle, and cheap (relatively). The only issue with it as you mentioned that it would probably have is the battery. It has around 2 hours of active battery life. Batteries can be swapped, but they aren't cheap.

http://gopro.com/hd-hero3-cameras

Sony RX100. Good small camera. One of the P&S by Canon that can do 1080P might be an acceptable option as well.

Instead of visiting the worst places, I'd personally rather visit the places that normal everyday people of the country live and work in.

Instead of visiting the worst places, I'd personally rather visit the places that normal everyday people of the country live and work in.
The reason is that I am trying to find some purpose and meaning in my life. I grew up in a first world country. I sometimes think of those documentaries where someone from a third world country is blessed enough to have the opportunity to visit a first world country and attain an education. Then they go back from where they came with the heart and desire to use what they attained to help their own country and people for the better. They could have just stayed in the first world country..

How discrete do you want to be? There are some keychain/wing cameras that I've used for capturing video from remote-controlled aircraft. Very small, very light, and very straightforward. Battery might be an issue depending on how long of a continuous shoot you would want. Some can accept power from a USB port so they are fairly easy to extend.

Would need to spraypaint that puppeh.

How discrete do you want to be? There are some keychain/wing cameras that I've used for capturing video from remote-controlled aircraft. Very small, very light, and very straightforward. Battery might be an issue depending on how long of a continuous shoot you would want. Some can accept power from a USB port so they are fairly easy to extend.
I have no problem with the idea of using battery extensions, but it would probably have to be something that runs through a wire so that the battery extension(s) could be tucked away in pockets/beneath my shirt or in a secret pocket compartment on the inside of my pants.

I have no problem with the idea of using battery extensions, but it would probably have to be something that runs through a wire so that the battery extension(s) could be tucked away in pockets/beneath my shirt or in a secret pocket compartment on the inside of my pants.

I understand, which is why I mentioned the USB port. Some might be capable of being powered by portable USB charger via a 2m cable routed under your shirt.

Get a Nokia 808. Which parts of India are you planning to visit? I live in Bombay, and am just a tad curious.

Get a Nokia 808. Which parts of India are you planning to visit? I live in Bombay, and am just a tad curious.
I think our Indian division is somewhere near Pune and will be doing business there. I think there will be segments of 2 or 3 day breaks every now and then, and our Indian division has a tremendous amount of work we need to do (so we will be there for some time when the ERP implementation team flies over).

EDIT: The Nokia 808 looks really attractive just for its camera.

Last edited:
Back