• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Looking for a new gaming headset

i cannot speak for the headsets as I haven't used them. I have researched the psyko cans and am impressed with what they are doing, but they are a bit out of my price range for gaming headphones. But if you want to do anything else with headphones, i would have to say get a soundcard. onboard audio just has never been able to cut it for me on quality.
 
Whats a good sound card? do i need to spend alot if i get the pskyo to get all the use out of it?
 
well i'm running with a several-year-old Hercules Fortissimo III, and it has killer headphone DACs. as for new sound cards, i really like the asus xonar cards. i tested one a couple of years ago with my beyerdynamic dt770s, and it drove them very well. if you were going for the psyko though, i think it does a lot of the work for you so it probably won't be necessary to spend crazy money on a card.
 
one thing I'd point out, generally "5.1 headsets" aren't the greatest thing, although neither of those are quite the same as your average $39.99 "gaming headset", so I'm not entirely sure of their sound quality, I do know what a $300+ pair of normal, top of the line, stereo headphones will do with gaming, and generally the performance is excellent, especially with EAX and CMSS, haven't tried 5.1 headphones myself, but generally I don't hear good things from most audio types (doesn't mean they're automatically junk)

in short, I'd REALLY suggest trying to find these to demo (yeah, I know this likely isn't gonna happen, but I'm still suggesting it at this price point), because I'm not really certain what these will do compared to a $300+ pair of proper stereo headphones (and I can tell you, you very likely would not be disappointed with that purchase, although who knows, maybe one of the ones you've found would be better still, thats what I don't know)

as far as the soundcard goes, generally a decent multimedia board will give you more goodies for multichannel processing, personally I like Creative, and have been quite impressed with my Auzen X-Fi Prelude and Audigy 2 ZS Platinum over the years, regardless of what I've got connected to them (I've more or less had or tried it all at one point or another over the last decade)

honestly, if I was going to drop down $300 on some fancy pants 5.1 headset like the Psyko, I wouldn't even question hooking it up to my Prelude, but at the same time, I doubt you'd have much issue using the onboard sound either
 
Back
Top