• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Looking for a great 2.1 speaker setup

Archer75

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Oct 10, 2001
Messages
6,471
I currently have a Soundblaster X-fi card and am using the Cambridge Soundworks DTT3500 5.1 speakers.

They are several years old now. I don't even use the rear speakers anymore. I don't like all that clutter and wires. My daughter wreaks havoc with it.

So I only use the front 3 speakers and sub.

I'm just wondering if there's anything better out there now.
 
$100 or so. Give or take. I have seen some from Logitech and Klipsch for around $110.
 
i would really only consider the logitech z-2300 or the klipsch promedia ultra 2.1. newegg has the z-2300 for about 125 shipped, but i bet u could find them cheaper. i have personally heard the klipsch, they are way better than mine, the z-2200. although the z-2300 is a newer revision so it is better than mine, i would still go with the klipsch. and again newegg has them for more than 150 shipped, they are overpriced. so find somewhere that has them cheaper. like ebay or something.
 
If you can dish out the extra cash, i like the klipsch promedia 2.1 system, when i worked at best buy we used them to play music in the mornings they get pretty loud and sound good. for around $150 these are pretty hard to beat.http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=4148283&st=klipsch&type=product&id=1051384267922

I also owned the altec lansing vs4121 http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=5590416&st=altec+lansing&type=product&id=1055388012457
they were decent the mids and highs were OK but even at a minumum the sub was overpowering with music, but for gaming they rocked. and for under $100 these are hard to top.

If your not dead set on 2.1 and would consider 2.0. the klipsch promedia 2.0 setup sounds damn good. and can be found at your local best buy for $99 probably cheaper online. for music i think these sound better than the 2.1 setup and are cheaper anyway. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7059817&st=klipsch&type=product&id=1108125259491
 
I can go with a 2.0 speaker setup if the bass is good.

But whatever I get it will need to be able to accept digital inputs from my X-Fi card.
 
watch out with the digital inputs. it is my understanding that the x-fi only puts out stereo sound when using digital. it has something to do with how it encodes (i think) or something like that.
so if your going to use digital, get a 2.0 setup.

if you could up ur budget to about 190, then you could get these, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16836136102. they are self powered, so no amp or reciever needed. they blow the klipsch out of the water
 
I recently started to use my Alesis Studio Monitors as my main computer speakers a few months ago when I got rid of my spare PC they were hooked up to.
They can play very very very loud and are very clean and crisp with plenty of nice tight bass, you'd swear there was a sub hooked up somewhere.
the model I have are Alesis M1 Active MKII, they are not too expensive, around $400/pr I think, probably get a slightly used set on ebay for under $200 probably.
just need to make some custom XLR to RCA cables and use an RCA-Y to mini jack adaptor.
m1-4.jpg
 
AlmostEvil said:
watch out with the digital inputs. it is my understanding that the x-fi only puts out stereo sound when using digital. it has something to do with how it encodes (i think) or something like that.
so if your going to use digital, get a 2.0 setup.

if you could up ur budget to about 190, then you could get these, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16836136102. they are self powered, so no amp or reciever needed. they blow the klipsch out of the water

Those look real nice! But im curious as to how they would compare to these. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16836127001
I was just at the music shop and they had a pair of these on display and they sound real nice.

LOL i plan on getting headphones but after hearing those at the store im starting to second guess myself here. LOL why cant we all just be rich?
 
Back
Top