Long-range wireless solution

Ulrezaj

Weaksauce
Here's the situation. My neighbour has a cottage about 1000' from mine, and we're trying to set up a wireless network between the cottages so I can access his satellite internet, and so we can LAN. I've heard of long range directional signal boosters but I really don't know much about them. Optimally, I would like it up so I have a repeater in my cottage so everyone else can also access the net. Are there products that can do this? I don't really feel like playing with tin can antennae...

I know the wrt54g's from linksys can operate in bridge mode, and I also know you can get a signal that far. Especially with a higain anntenna ( or some such ).

That's the route I'd chose. It's about 200-300 bucks, but overall not bad.

Are the typical "long range" antennae offered by Linksys, Dlink, etc generally capable of transmitting across 1000' with a some sporadic trees in the way?

Ulrezaj said:
Are the typical "long range" antennae offered by Linksys, Dlink, etc generally capable of transmitting across 1000' with a some sporadic trees in the way?
Er..not sure. They may be, 1000 feet isn't that far.

I've been meaning to try.

Two Linksys WRT54GL with DD-WRT firmware or WAP54G if you want to stick with stock firmware.

Two 14-19dB directional panel antenna, a little cable, little trees and a little luck.

If you want to repeat it off, I recommend getting another AP to run off of the ethernet of your link. I've done a couple of bridges in less than ideal conditions, they work fine as long as not in repeat mode with a client. The link tends to get unstable with a weak signal and a local wireless client.

Cisco Aironets have LOS ranges measured in kms, heheh. Expensive though...some good directional, boosted antennas should cover 1000ft easily. I think 1000ft is the absolute limit for copper wire as well though, if that's an option.

It comes down to the antenna.

WAP54G with good antennas should hit 6+ miles fairly easily.

You could also look at using Cantennas (search google).

You can buy premade ones and they are VERY directional, but if you would point them at each other you would be able to get a good signal :)

Plenty of options that'll hit 1000 feet. Frankly the cheapest AP and client or point to point bridge will do that if you know what your doing. Unfortunately for you, you have a wildcard.

1000' with a some sporadic trees in the way

If you have trees directly in the line of site then it's possible not a low or high end bridge will make it through. And if it does may drop as soon as the wind blows or especially if it rains and there is rain on the leaves. Low power 2.4 ghz wants line of site at that distance. You'll probably here people talk about multiple obstructions being overcome on a link that far and it's possible. Obstructions are simply variables that cannot be measured from a BBS post. Test and see though I'd say if you actually have trees in the direct line of site then prepare to be dissapointed and hope for the best.

Major overkill for a 1000 foot shot. Assuming only marginal obstructed view he could probably get away with a cheap 5 dBi directional at each end. If the trees are multiple and numerous then it seldom matters what you throw at it.

Back