• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

logitech z-5500

snarfbot

n00b
Joined
Jun 22, 2008
Messages
2
ok, i got these probably a year or 2 ago, theyre nice, im relatively happy with them.

the satellites kinda suck though, so i was wondering if it was possible to replace them with something better.

as far as i can tell the crossover is locked in at 120hz, and i cant change that apparently.


but, with my x-fi, i can change the crossover frequency in software.

lets say i change it to 40hz, would that mean that the satellites are just not going to get any signal in the 40-120hz range?

does that mean i would need a separate amp to drive the surrounds?
 
Yes, I can almost guarantee that you'll end up with a gap doing that, which'll sound worse than leaving it as it is.
 
Get some real speakers. Problem solved.

If you are interested, give us a budget.
 
There is really not much you can do to "fix" this set. Get some real speakers as criccio said if you have the money to spend. Give us a budget and we'll help you out. :)
 
Yup. New speakers man. My brother also has the Logitech Z-5500 connected to X-FI soundcard. My M-Audio AV40 2.0 speakers connected to onboard audio is still better in sound than his setup. There's not much you can do on those Z-5500 satellite speakers. I notice on his speakers there's not enough definition and clarity on those satellite speakers. Too much bass and not enough mids and highs.
 
Wait for it guys...
"7.1 is ALWAYS better than 2.0/2.1/5.1"
;)

What you really need is a receiver and some larger passive real speakers.

Since you're thinking of upgrading, what is your budget?
 
Last edited:
...lets say i change it to 40hz, would that mean that the satellites are just not going to get any signal in the 40-120hz range?

does that mean i would need a separate amp to drive the surrounds?

Well, I don't think that's actually how it works. If you set the satellites at 40hz, that just means that the speakers will remain to output the same sound as before, BUT, the subwoofer will not kick in until it reaches the 40hz frequency. The crossover is there not to cut the frequency of the speakers, but to actually tell the subwoofer when it's a good time to support them. Speakers normally sound good until a certain range, and then they start to sound weak after a certain frequency. The idea is to blend them with the subwoofer in a way that they don't overlap each other too much, but at the same time, one picks on where the other one left off. See what I mean?

However, what does the surrounds have to do with anything? Why would you need an amplifier? I don't understand that question.

I had the Z-5500, and 80hz sounded the best. But feel free to experiment. One thing I want to say, is that if you decide to upgrade, you will realize the subwoofer is worse than the speakers. That was the first thing I replaced, and the difference was day and night. So you might want to replace that first, but that's just me.

PS: Correct me if I said anything wrong.
 
Back
Top