logging what files users download

Sickness

Gawd
im wondering if there is a way to see which machines are downloading huge files and bogging down our network and also i would like to know what they are downloading (work)
i am an admin and would like to know if thereis such a program because im a very lenient admin but now i just wanna see what they are doing and perhaps who is doing it without asking questions

Sickness said:
im wondering if there is a way to see which machines are downloading huge files and bogging down our network and also i would like to know what they are downloading (work)
i am an admin and would like to know if thereis such a program because im a very lenient admin but now i just wanna see what they are doing and perhaps who is doing it without asking questions

That depends on your network environment, how is your network setup and what equipment is involved in connecting to the Internet?

3 full 24pt switches going through a cisco 2600 router with a cisco pix 506e firewall to a t-1... nothing special

Just a side-note, theres a LOT of viruses out there today that propegate over networks, and are known to degrade network performance.

Then again, your average user will wreak more havoc on a computer than any virus that a hacker could possibly create....

im not worried about a virus... i know someone is just using a lot of bandwidth downloading stuff and would just like to know

Ethereal, maybe? Also - it may not be huge files. Services like shoutcast (or any streaming service) can really bog down a full T1 if several users attach to 128kbit streams. Also, P2P may be the culprit. Users setting up kazaa might end up leaving it open and sharing to the world, and people like hopping onto a T1 to download from...

Back