Liquid Metal Pro destroyed my stock heatsink

I just made a quick video showing how this thermal compound dissolved and destroyed this stock Dell heatsink.

I couldn't find any results on google for it destroying any other heatsinks so I don't know how well documented this issue is, so here you can see the carnage for yourself:

For some reason when I post on here I get a lot of very negative replies so I almost didn't post this but I figured I would give it one last try. If it is still that way then I guess I will just stop posting since clearly I'm missing something about this forum that causes great incompatibility between myself and others. I'm just trying to build PCs and overclock and cool like the rest of yall. I hope everyone has a great day.

This is one of the worst attempts at click bait/attention I have seen in a while.

Gallium and aluminum are not good friends.
That's not true they are the best of friends and that is the issue they are bad for each other and get each other drunk then the next thing they know gallium is preggers with aluminum and aluminum just wastes away trying to pay for the kids gallium keeps having.

The really fun thing to do is shake up a Hot Can of Beer really hard, set it on a table by friends, and put a drop on the lid.

Then leave, lol.

It's best if everyone is wearing shades, for eye protection, but wtf...

Damn, you guys are brutal. The guy made an error and owned up to it. I was not looking to roast the guy, I thought it was very valid PSA for those that are not in the know.

Kinda looks like what happens when Mercury makes contact with aluminum. Lots of coolers are made with cooper cores they figured nobody would use this stuff with a cheap 100% Aluminum heatsink. Though I'd be more worried if that stuff has mercury in it.

Meh i still have a lifetime supply of AS5 even some of my AS1 left and 2 tubes of Ceramique... so i am set for paste even if there are better. We are talking a temp difference of 1-2*

Meh i still have a lifetime supply of AS5 even some of my AS1 left and 2 tubes of Ceramique... so i am set for paste even if there are better. We are talking a temp difference of 1-2*

On lapped HS/block the difference can be as high as 8-10C, same with delids. Back when these first hit the market I used it on my lapped TRUE and lapped CPU combo and got a drop of 9C on the hottest core, difference between the best "normal" TIM and the average might be 1-2C, but not when taking about the liquid metal TIMs. They however do not perform as well on HS's with rough bases, due to very thin film thickness.

On lapped HS/block the difference can be as high as 8-10C, same with delids. Back when these first hit the market I used it on my lapped TRUE and lapped CPU combo and got a drop of 9C on the hottest core, difference between the best "normal" TIM and the average might be 1-2C, but not when taking about the liquid metal TIMs. They however do not perform as well on HS's with rough bases, due to very thin film thickness.
regardless i am not going to go out of my way to chase the extra 1-3C and buy more compound when i have a tube of AS1, AS3 and 5 tubes of AS5 and 2 of ASceramique i got the AS5 and Ceramique at radioshack when they were going out of business... yeah i have seen the reviews between various pastes and the range was 76C vs 71C with the "BEST" one being one of those liquid metal ones and it was as5 at 100% load was 53.6C with the liquid metal at 100% it was 49.5C i am not going to buy a new paste for 4C drop.

I also wonder if the testing i have seen takes into account break-in periods for each tim... as AS5 has a 200 hour where it needs to be heated and cooled before it reaches optimal interface...

Last edited:
personally i got a 20 degree delta after delid + liquid metal. The irony here is thick, hope he learned his lesson.

regardless i am not going to go out of my way to chase the extra 1-3C and buy more compound when i have a tube of AS1, AS3 and 5 tubes of AS5 and 2 of ASceramique i got the AS5 and Ceramique at radioshack when they were going out of business... yeah i have seen the reviews between various pastes and the range was 76C vs 71C with the "BEST" one being one of those liquid metal ones and it was as5 at 100% load was 53.6C with the liquid metal at 100% it was 49.5C i am not going to buy a new paste for 4C drop.

I also wonder if the testing i have seen takes into account break-in periods for each tim... as AS5 has a 200 hour where it needs to be heated and cooled before it reaches optimal interface...

Soooo....If you have no interest in using a higher performing TIM.....Why did you post here?

Soooo....If you have no interest in using a higher performing TIM.....Why did you post here?
My point was to point out the irony of the existence of a gallium based TIM when the primary material you wish to give a better connection to a copper/nickel plate is a giant finned slab of aluminum which is well known to be devoured by both gallium and mercury. Furthermore i'll point out the op used this TIM on a stock dell HSF which likely saw no real gains in cooling vs say a cheaper more practical TIM.

Lesson learned here. I haven't bought anything from Coollaboratory but saw the warning Grizzly had when I was looking up TIM's outside of my goto's (Noctua NT-H1 or Prolimatech PK-3) and thought that couldn't be clearer.

My point was to point out the irony of the existence of a gallium based TIM when the primary material you wish to give a better connection to a copper/nickel plate is a giant finned slab of aluminum which is well known to be devoured by both gallium and mercury. Furthermore i'll point out the op used this TIM on a stock dell HSF which likely saw no real gains in cooling vs say a cheaper more practical TIM.

What the fins are made out of has nothing to do with the TIM. The base on most highend HS are nickel plated copper, not aluminum. If you are going to cheap out on a fully aluminum HS I doubt you are going to spend $15 on TIM. So there is no irony.

What the fins are made out of has nothing to do with the TIM. The base on most highend HS are nickel plated copper, not aluminum. If you are going to cheap out on a fully aluminum HS I doubt you are going to spend $15 on TIM. So there is no irony.
And the 1st page has examples where a proper cooling solution was used and this happened to touch part of the aluminum... The problem is more that a substance known to alloy destructively with more than just aluminum is used all for the sake of at best 3* over the next best solution... Gallium will alloy with other metals too just not as destructively...

And the 1st page has examples where a proper cooling solution was used and this happened to touch part of the aluminum... The problem is more that a substance known to alloy destructively with more than just aluminum is used all for the sake of at best 3* over the next best solution... Gallium will alloy with other metals too just not as destructively...

Those were not proper solutions to use with CLU, the only example was a small heatpipe cooler with very clear aluminum over lap. If you don't want to use it, don't. And as I said, temp drops can be far greater than 3C for those hunting for the best, big time when used with delidding.

That's the T-1000 trying to get out! Better throw that Heatsink into some molten steel while you can!

Back