Liquid flurocarbon

konst

Weaksauce
I think that's what one of the Cray supercomputers used. Imerse the whole system in a tank of the stuff except the power supply. It's inert and non conductive. Any thoughts?

didn't I see somewhere that someone did this with nonconductive mineral oil? It'd be a lot cheaper than that stuff ;)

I remember reading about a project yonks ago where two guys submerged a 366MHz Celeron system in fluorinert, which was then pumped through a big custom chilled radiator (i.e. a copper spiral in a fridge if I remember rightly) & clocked it up to 600MHz+. Two problems - firstly they had to spend over the liquid itself costs $1k per litre or more, & secondly it turns into a thick gel (that burns out the pump) if it gets too hot or too cold (can't remember which way). Just submerge the thing in transformer oil if you really have to.

3M Fluroinert or something it was called...

Need not apply if you aren't a government entity, large corporation, or evil madman.

Tom's Hardware did the Oil bath one and do a search for Think Tank for the one using the flurotine or how ever it is spelled. Last I seen it was $300 a gallon but you have to buy like 30 gal so something like that.

cre8chaos said:
Tom's Hardware did the Oil bath one and do a search for Think Tank for the one using the flurotine or how ever it is spelled. Last I seen it was $300 a gallon but you have to buy like 30 gal so something like that.
Thinktank used transformer oil. Midel 7131.

Mark305TBI said:
Thinktank used transformer oil. Midel 7131.

You sir are right. I did see one but I though the name of it was think tank. I know I did see one with the 3M stuff. Anyone with a name?

back then in cray they probably used r11 [once or twice], when it gets hot it boils off, just have a huge tank on a liquid level valve to refill it

haha yeh i saw that video... now that i think of it like five or 6 years ago. it was in Australia i believe. if turns out it went to gel at like 60 below so they stopped using nitrogen and went to solid cO2 and everything was good from there.

it works but as said above it is very pricey.

oils work but removin the heat is not always easy. it can keep the cpu from over heating but it will still run hot after many hours. having said that it also takes longer for the oil to cool back to ambient when the computer is off. one benefit other then cost is the ability to cool high voltage stuff.

haha yeh i saw that video... now that i think of it like five or 6 years ago. it was in Australia i believe. if turns out it went to gel at like 60 below so they stopped using nitrogen and went to solid cO2 and everything was good from there.

what?

Back