Linux?

Originally posted by zachary80
reinstalled 9.2

Now, in my /mnt/ folder it won't let me access my "data" (fat32) or my "windows" (ntfs) directories. Access isn't allowed to data, and windows is locked.

My first installation I was able to access them fine. What do I do?

apparently it has to do with some user settings because 'root' is able to access the drives just fine

what needs to be changed?

security level is "standard" (changed from "high")

apparently it has to do with some user settings because 'root' is able to access the drives just fine

what needs to be changed?

security level is "standard" (changed from "high")

umm... permissions?

try 'man chmod'

I just reinstalled again

I went through the control panels and tried everything I found. The weird thing is that I didn't change anything for it to do that :confused: oh well

Anyways, the only benefit I have found of linux is it's costs. It doesnt run most programs, it boots slower than XP (even if linux auto-logs in), it crashes more frequently, and it has more problems.

Anyways, the only benefit I have found of linux is it's costs. It doesnt run most programs, it boots slower than XP (even if linux auto-logs in), it crashes more frequently, and it has more problems.

Uhhh... you sure you didn't mix up the Windows ME and Mandrake CDs?

I've absolutely never had Linux crash since 1999.

Originally posted by RazeDS
Uhhh... you sure you didn't mix up the Windows ME and Mandrake CDs?

I've absolutely never had Linux crash since 1999.

Yes. Windows ME is more user-friendly ;)

Linux didn't crash, but several of the programs bundled with it have

Linux didn't crash, but several of the programs bundled with it have

For example?
The only release program I've had crash in Linux is Mozilla... and it's no more often than in Windows (maybe once in a month).

Sounds like flakey hardware.

I don't remember, that was three installs ago :D

The hardware is my old 700mhz AMD. All the hardware was detected correctly and I had no problems since more than a year ago when running windows.

I decided to install it on my main computer as a backup to windows, and it cannot boot into the graphical interface or detect my onboard ethernet.

Mobo: a7n8x-deluxe
Video: BBA 9800np

What is there to do? If there is no way, how can I uninstall the LILO bootloader and linux?

Boot the Linux installer CD and delete the linux partitions, then quit.

Boot your Windows installer CD and go to the recovery console. Run the command fixmbr.

PS- I could have told you Mandrake wouldn't work well graphically on your high-end box because of your 9800.

PPS- You should have used knoppix and booted the CD with a cheatcode- knoppix alsa screen=1024x768 -to try to get your sound working and to run at a decent resolution. You could have installed it in 20 minutes.

Originally posted by Arkaine23
Boot the Linux installer CD and delete the linux partitions, then quit.

Boot your Windows installer CD and go to the recovery console. Run the command fixmbr.

PS- I could have told you Mandrake wouldn't work well graphically on your high-end box because of your 9800.

PPS- You should have used knoppix and booted the CD with a cheatcode- knoppix alsa screen=1024x768 -to try to get your sound working and to run at a decent resolution. You could have installed it in 20 minutes.

I found a much easier way for the first part. You boot the Mandrake CD and press F1 for advanced, the type resuce. It will let you replace the MBR with the windows. Then you go about redoing the partitions.

I never thought to ask about the high end machine. Last night I decided to install the harddrive from Old into New and found Linux didn't boot right.

The linux ISOs that I have are:
Lindows (dev and reg)
Mandrake (9.2)
SuSE (live)
Knoppix (live)

I also found that the live CD's ran very slow.
Does Knoppix actually install? How do I use the 'cheatcode'?

Knoppix has 2 different installer programs that are pretty easy to use. knoppix-installer and knx-hdinstall- you'd run one or the other as root.

Whnen you first boot off the CD, there is a screen that says press F2 for help. At this initial prompt you can enter codes which pass certain options to the kernel. Pressing F2 gives a partital list fo teh available cheatcodes.

All will start with "knoppix" and you can use several at once, for example:

knoppix alsa desktop=xfce screen=1280x1024

Basically a few cheatcodes can set your desktop environment, resolution, and help configure problematic hardware.

Back