Linux SMTP Server

Mog_m

Weaksauce
Im setting up a Web Hosting server for someone, and I got everything except the SMTP server.

I need something that can support virtual domains. I have a working pop server, but I cant seem to figure out howto configure Sendmail or Postfix properly to get it to do what I want.

If anyone has any tips/suggestions/sites you could point me to to configure either of these programs to do what I need (I have the virtual mailboxes setup fine, just need the program to put the mail in their). Or other programs that could do this.

Thanks alot.

No doubt about that. Qmail at least is functioning as a catalyst for change in MTAs. I'm quite happy that Yahoo finally is working on the idea for cryptographically signing mail on the server/domain level that we were throwing around in graduate school back in 2000. SMTP is a pretty naive protocol.

Originally posted by Snugglebear
No doubt about that. Qmail at least is functioning as a catalyst for change in MTAs. I'm quite happy that Yahoo finally is working on the idea for cryptographically signing mail on the server/domain level that we were throwing around in graduate school back in 2000. SMTP is a pretty naive protocol.

"Catalyst for change" is fine. But ignoring parts of existing standards, while also a choice that one can make, is not necessarily a wise decision. That decision, and DJB's hideously abrasive personality, are the two main reasons you don't see qmail embraced more often in the enterprise, particularly in comparison to Postfix, whose author is at least as knowledgeable, security-wise, and he's much easier to work with.

Everyone these days has a solution for the "SMTP problem" (myself included. See http://bitshift.org/archives/000059.html ). None of them will work, however, for the simple reason that email has, for all intents and purposes, become a utility. Changing the underlying protocol today would be tantamount to changing the US home electrical standard from 120V to 340V, 3-phase. Sure, you could simply flip a switch and make the change, but you'd have a whole lot of angry people with useless electrical appliances. So you have to find a method that solves the problems you need solved, while remaining completely backwards compatible and interoperable with the old approach, so the changeover can happen incrementally, over a period of years.

One irritating man and the also-ran in the MTA wars isn't going to effect that change.

Email has been a particularly ineffective utility for many years. The sheer volume of spam, spoofed emails, viral transmision, and fraud that occurs because of those flaws far outweigh any benefits of the current system. Some may disagree, but the problems will only get worse, and the present aftermarket solutions simply do not get much better.

All one needs to do is provide user incentive for the shift and it will begin rather quickly. Yes, this makes angry people out of those who cling to obsolesence, but so be it. If they wish to continue using SMTP, they're free to do so, while the rest of us utilize something better. That it can potentially be made transparent to mom & pop on AOL makes it even more plausible.

Back