Linux running on vmware server running on XP Pro - super slow!

sphinx99

[H]ard|Gawd
Environment: E6600 Core 2 with 4GB of 667MHz memory and a 150GB raptor... pretty snappy hardware. Freshly installed XP SP2 with all patches and updates, latest chipset drivers, etc. Everything flies.

I installed vmware server 1.01 and then a 32-bit linux (Oracle Enteprrise Linux, basically a clone of RHEL4). Things are slow. Boot-up within the vmware container (1CPU, 2GB of RAM allocated) takes about 90 seconds, which is slower than it takes on a P3/866MHz/512 box I have sitting around here. During this time the host OS (XP) reports extremely high CPU utilization (> 85-90% the entire bootup time) and almost all of this is kernel time. I have duplicated this issue on an identically configured E6600 box as well. All software is freshly installed.

Any ideas?

I tried a few things... turning off the virtualization feature support in the BIOS... switched between 1 and 2 CPUs allocated to the vmware box... switching between bridged, host, etc. network configuration. Same result. High CPU consumption, mostly XP kernel time and sluggish to slow considering the machine. It's a LOT like when a hard drive goes into PIO mode under Windows... same sort of sluggishness (though that's not the issue here, at least for Windows).

Any ideas? I'm at a loss as to how to troubleshoot further.

Nope, but I figured it out. The OS was booting up with the hugemem kernel by default which (for whatever reason) was causing a ton of CPU usage. Switched to the UP and SMP kernels which were much, much faster.

Back