Linux F@H client acting squirrely!

whrswoldo

2[H]4U
Joined
Jun 6, 2002
Messages
3,138
I recently built a new system with the intention of selling my old system (amd 3200+, 6800gt, etc etc) to recoup some of the cost. That fell through however, and I don't feel like parting it out so I decided to install the latest ubuntu linux distro and slap F@H on it. I have fiddled with many flavors of linux/freebsd in the past although have never really found them to be practical replacements for windows due to a number of reasons.

My current problem is that I cannot for the life of me get F@H to work properly. I have completely given up on getting it to start up automatically as a service, after following multiple "howtos" and installation scripts unsuccessfully, including the one in the FAQ here. This is a nuisance, however the behavior of the F@H client is a problem. For some reason, my system monitor is showing that it is only utilizing 31% of the CPU. Furthermore, there are 4 instances of "FahCore_a0.exe" listed, and 3 of them show no usage at all. Is this normal? :confused: :confused: :confused:

If anyone can shed some light on my situation I'd be much obliged.
 
If you aren't using that computer except to fold, u might want to try Foldix if you haven't heard of it. A quick search will bring you to Foldix... Its an OS that installs FAH and it's just that and nothing else... It's quite simple and fast althought I was not able to get that to work on my other rig due to networking driver issues...

Foldix - http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=964162

 
Have you modified /etc/rc.d/rc.local? so that on reboot the machine restarts



# Hack to prevent kernel bug
echo 100 > /proc/sys/vm/inactive_clean_percent
echo 2 10 20 > /proc/sys/vm/pagecache

#folding
cd /fah1
./FAH5 &

#folding
cd /fah2
./FAH5 &

#folding
cd /fah3
./FAH5 &

#folding
cd /fah4
./FAH5 &
 
whrswoldo said:
For some reason, my system monitor is showing that it is only utilizing 31% of the CPU. Furthermore, there are 4 instances of "FahCore_a0.exe" listed, and 3 of them show no usage at all. Is this normal? :confused: :confused: :confused:
31% - not normal. 4 instances with only one using CPU - yes it's normal.

 
I checked on my old super awesomely well working computer tonight, and it appears to be completing steps, albeit slowly as hell.

It completed 3% in 12 hours, which means I should finish this mofo in about 34 days :eek: According to this page , that protein (p1486_hafp_fus) has a "credit" of 300.

Does this mean I can expect about 9 PPD from this thing? Am I missing something? :confused:
 
make sure it's using the SSE optimizations. Even without those, though, you should be getting more than 9ppd.
 
For those that may run into the same problem as me, I found a solution:


































































































































fu*k penguins. I spent 30 minutes reformatting, installing Vista pre-rc1, and installing F@H as system service; boom, done.
 
Back
Top