Linux, EZ-Drive, and mounting a hard drive

carl67lp

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a hard drive off of which I need to retrieve a ton of data. It's a standard IDE hard drive, formerly running Gentoo Linux, with three partitions: boot, swap, and root.

I've installed Mandrake on my PC in order to more easily retrieve this data, but when I attempt to mount /dev/hdf3 I get an error that "mount: special device /dev/hdf3 does not exist". Doing an fdisk on /dev/hdf comes back with only one partition, of type EZ-Drive. That somewhat makes sense, since this was a hard drive salvaged from an old computer, and I think I had installed something like that to make things work.

This is a big inconvenience, obviously, since I have a lot of irreplaceable data on the drive.

What's the easiest way to get to the partitions? I really, really need help!

It looks as though it might suffice to simply remove EZ-Drive, but because I do not have the original floppies that came with the drive, and Western Digital's software doesn't seem to have the necessary tools, I am still stumped.

Another bump. Someone, somewhere on this forum must have run into EZ-Drive at some time in their computing life!

Back