Linkysys BEFSR41 Router Keeps Needing A Restart

kapkorn

Gawd
I have 3 PCs on this router and my internet and network activity will stop working and I have to reboot the router a few times a day sometimes, it seems to occur if i am downloading a couple things on one pc and using the internet on another, like the activity is making it freeze.

Is there any way to fix this?

BTW it did it while I was trying to post this :(

mine started doing that to me as well. after much troubleshooting I just tossed it. :( It wound up with even more problems, like two of the ethernet ports no longer working.

I 've read about other people with the same sort's of problems too. I think they did the same thing.

ya i ended up tossing mine and setting up a freesco box... havent missed my bfsr a bit :p

any reccomendations on what to replace it with? i just need a decent 4 port router.

dont want to spend a lot on it

Mine all of a sudden started acting up as well, it is getting a little annoying. It has been working fine for about 2 years until about 2 weeks ago(latest firmware, upgraded it from the previous just to see if it would help and it didn't). I've had to reset about 4 or 5 times since then. Actually one time the reset button didn't do anything, so i manually just unplug the damn thing. If it gets any worse i might chuck it, i don't know what i'll replace it with though, i was thinking maybe their Firewall router, but if it is a common Linksys problem then i am having second thoughts. I am also curious what would be a good replacement, just in case.

Originally posted by kapkorn
any reccomendations on what to replace it with? i just need a decent 4 port router.

dont want to spend a lot on it

I bought a D-Link four port that has been great for 6 months.

You guys found any other types of appliance firewall routers that are fairly robust?

A little over 5 years ago I setup most of the neighborhood around here with Linksys BEFSR41 and 11s, depending on people's needs. Those have worked magnificently up until we got switched to Comcast last Spring, at which point most of the routers now jam up and require restarts (the old no routing, no interface, but switching works issue. I've taken some suspect units over to some friends in the bay where Comcast is not and they seem to work fine over there. Comcast says nothing changed, linksys doesn't say much of anything, since these use old firmware since the updates beyond 1.44.2z don't run on the old models.

Anyway, it's beginning to get annoying to have to go and restart these routers. Some people just don't get it no matter how many times I tell them to pull the plug, wait 10 seconds, and plug it back in. So it would probably be a good idea to start replacing some of them in the next few months as people buy new computers as well. Some will want wireless + wired bases, others just wired. Either way *BSD + *pf, astarro, or the others are out of the question. These things need to last at least another 4-5 years, too.

I happen to use comcast too.. hmm. I unplugged the Win2k rig from it and so far it is working (i have 2 xp and one 2k) now it may just not be "overloading now" but i had a 2k and an xp before (just 2 pcs) and had problems. maybe the problem is with my 2k rig.

It's not a PC problem. I've had the issue with Solaris, FreeBSD, Win2k, ME, XP, and a few Macs, both in single computer environments and on multiple computer LANs. Sometimes the router will jam with no internal clients powered on.

Same problem with the Linksys wireless - unplugging seems to fix it - but what a pain.

I had same issue with mine. The fix? Spoof one of my internal mac addresses for the linksys wan port. Since then it has been 100% solid like it was before.

Linksys before Cisco put their logo on was going downhill. my 1 year old router 4port switch went bad...

i got a new one with Cisco on the front. works great.

*NOTE - if your linksys router, swtich, or combination gets Warm with normal usage, take it back or warranty it. Ive spoken to some linksys people. those devices should never be warm to the touch , especially in a normal room temp or 70F ..and we run all our equip @ full duplex.

D e e p

okay well i got a dlink wireless and it doenst seem to be that much better

are there any routers that can hold a heavy load?

Originally posted by DeepFreeze
*NOTE - if your linksys router, swtich, or combination gets Warm with normal usage, take it back or warranty it. Ive spoken to some linksys people. those devices should never be warm to the touch , especially in a normal room temp or 70F ..

Then by all rights I should have returned *all* of the linksys befsr41 and befsr81 models I use and have installed.

Mind you they are *all* working perfectly fine using Verizon DSL or Comcast service.

It is *normal* for equipment to be warm to the touch in room temperature environments. Especially those units whose transformers are built into the unit. I've got some of the original linksys 4 and 8 port models that have upgraded firmware that are still working perfectly fine today.

Originally posted by kapkorn
okay well i got a dlink wireless and it doenst seem to be that much better

are there any routers that can hold a heavy load?

Define a "heavy load". What does your ISP provide in terms of bandwidth? What applications are you using on the Internet?

I've got a Linksys on comcast 3Mb line and a Linksys on a 1.5Mb DSL line downloading almost 24/7 with no problems.

Originally posted by SJConsultant
Then by all rights I should have returned *all* of the linksys befsr41 and befsr81 models I use and have installed.

Mind you they are *all* working perfectly fine using Verizon DSL or Comcast service.

It is *normal* for equipment to be warm to the touch in room temperature environments. Especially those units whose transformers are built into the unit. I've got some of the original linksys 4 and 8 port models that have upgraded firmware that are still working perfectly fine today.

ya ditto, every piece of networking equipment gets quite warm....

hell my switch has 2x 120mm fans in teh back :eek:

Originally posted by SJConsultant
Define a "heavy load". What does your ISP provide in terms of bandwidth? What applications are you using on the Internet?

I've got a Linksys on comcast 3Mb line and a Linksys on a 1.5Mb DSL line downloading almost 24/7 with no problems.

ive just got comcast with 2 pcs hooked to the router

one doesnt do much

mine usually has dling going in a few programs. i dl tv shows off of bit torrent most of the time (never home when theyre on)

usually bit torrent, irc and direct connect

the router will freeze up

i have been having this problem for about the last 2 weeks i just bought a new linksys wireless router and this one works fine

not sure what im going to do with my old router

Back