linksys wrv54g advice?

badteddy

Weaksauce
ok here's the situation:

i have a linksys wrv54g router.

my own PC is connected to the router directly. now i notice sometimes when i leave the computer for maybe 3 hours or more, the connection from my pc to the internet is inaccessable. nothing shows up on my pc that my connection has been lost from windows. BUT when i open up a browser or try to connect to AIM it can not connect. EVERY other pc in the house can connect except mine. the only solution i found is to either go into network connections and disable, then re-enable the network connection (keeping in mind i have to be patient for it to refresh OR i have to keep on trying), OR i have to restart my pc. and as soon as i log back into my pc the internet works fine.

another issue is every other few days or so my router looses connection from the modem. the modem is fine. but the router refuses to re-connect properly. so every time i have to do a power cycle. shutting off modem for 10 seconds, then as soon as it reconnects to the internet i shut off the router, and let it reconnect.

i know its not the modem's fault. in my computer's case, i know its not the router's fault. but i know its the router's fault when loosing connection after for so long...?

after the router went down one time i tested the modem and connected directly to my pc, worked fine..

i have just upgraded the firmware for the router. so i hope that makes a difference. any advice to what i need to do is greatly appreciated!

I found this http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7941
I ordered a WRV54G and installed it with little difficultly, at least initially. The problems began when the SpeedStream 5100 modem provided by SBC Yahoo and the WRV54G did not get along. Granted, this is not completely the fault of the WRV54G. The 5100 originally was configured to control the PPPoE connection, with the WRV54G being the client. The SpeedStream 5100 periodically renegotiates the IP address and this cannot be disabled. This should not be an issue, but, unfortunately, the WRV54G would lock up completely on occasion. The solution was to have the WRV54G control the PPPoE and turn off all the "intelligence" in the modem. This solution only becomes an issue if the client requires SBC to provide technical support for the modem or DLS. SBC will not provide any technical support unless the modem is set back to the original configuration. The resolution of this problem took several telephone calls and e-mails to Linksys, not once with the same technician. This became a theme, repeating the situation over and over with each new technician.
does that describe your modem problem?

i hope this works! i tried changing the smart alive to always connect.. hmmm

Back