Linksys WRT54GS and DNS issue

cp900

n00b
I have the linksys wireless router with speedbooster setup but my desktop is having DNS issues with it. If I plug my latop directly into the router I can surf the net, using DHCP, just fine. I have my desktop set up with a static IP address just fine. The coolest part is that I can ping the router, the laptop, and outside IP addresses just fine from the desktop. I cannot connect to the web using a web address though, which makes me think there is a problem with the DNS settings. Has anyone else experienced this?

cp900 said:
I have the linksys wireless router with speedbooster setup but my desktop is having DNS issues with it. If I plug my latop directly into the router I can surf the net, using DHCP, just fine. I have my desktop set up with a static IP address just fine. The coolest part is that I can ping the router, the laptop, and outside IP addresses just fine from the desktop. I cannot connect to the web using a web address though, which makes me think there is a problem with the DNS settings. Has anyone else experienced this?
Since your IP address is staticly set, your going to have to configure your DNS Servers by hand, you should be able to get there addresses form the router, then simply edit your TCP/IP settings, and be good to go.

You need to put the ip address of the router in your gateway. This should populate your dns settings for you.

StickyLoad said:
You need to put the ip address of the router in your gateway. This should populate your dns settings for you.
he said he can already ping outside IP's, so his gateway setting is just fine. Its simply his Nameserver addresses aren't configured, so the resolver doesn't know of a dns server to use for queries.

I have put the DNS addresses from the router in the TCP/IP settings for the desktop. I was going to try setting the comp as a DMZ host on the router just to see if that works. That would only be a temporary solution though.....(if it works)

Ok, I tried setting the desktop as the DMZ host, to no avail.... Any other suggestions??

Odd, you said the other computer that recieves IP and such via DHCP is working fine, you might just copy the DNS Server IP's off of it.

The DNS on the laptop are set to be obtained automatically, so there is nothing there....

I'll post the ipconfig screen this evening when I get home...

can you ping domain names (www.yahoo.com) or just IP addresses? Have you looked at your hosts file to make sure nothing is blocking your traffic? You running any kind of software firewall? At this point it could be almost anything, but according to your ipconfig, it appears to be ok.

I can ping ip addresses fine, but using domain names causes an error. I do have a software firewall (mcafee) but I disabled it until I could get this working. How do I check the host file?

Look in this directory

C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc

may be windows instead of winnt. Use notepad to open the hosts file.

Check to see if it is the "default" hosts file It should look like this:

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

try manually adding 204.127.204.8 and 216.148.227.204 as your DNS servers. Should be what you need.

What I do is set up the router as my one DNS server. Most modern routers can handle that.

Well, I checked the host file and its the default (same as one posted above). I also saw on linksys's support website that some people have been unable to gain wireless connectivity after applying one of the windows update. I checked into that, but I don't have that one on my computer, so I still have no clue whats going on.... :mad: :confused:

run ipconfig on the laptop ... are the DNS entries the same as your PC?

What worked for me when I had this problem was to set the DNS on my laptop to the router's address. I have a linksys as well. Make sure you have the latest firmware because some earlier versions didn't have this capability.

The DNS entries are the same on both computers.... I have tried setting the router as the DNS entry. That hasn't worked, either.... :confused:

Have you tried turning off the speed boost capability? It is also conceivable, though unlikely, that the channel or encryption settings could be confusing it. Try increasing or decreasing either.

Back