Linksys WRT54GL wireless repeater? DDWRT is annoying me

altjx

n00b
I have a Cisco router/modem by Cox serving as my primary AP; however, I would like to extend the range further into the apartment. Therefore, I bought a Linksys WRT54GL after realizing how easy it was to upgrade this router to DD-WRT.

After upgrading the WRT54GL to DDWRT, here is the guide that I followed: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge#Broadcom.

The problem is that I can NEVER get the WRT54GL router to connect to the primary AP. How do I know this? Because I can't ever see the WRT54GL's router IP address in the main AP's DHCP client list (it shows both DHCP and static addresses). Furthermore, I can never ping (from the WRT54GL router) the primary AP's IP address -- this was confirmed via an SSH connection to the WRT54GL router from my PC).

I've posted this issue on the DDWRT forum, but that place is just a ghost town. You might get a reply here or there, depending on the time of the year. All I simply want to do is extend my wireless signal throughout the house, but I do NOT want to run a cable from the primary AP to the WRT54GL router.

Is this possible and simple? Is the guide that I followed the correct guide? I would appreciate anyone's feedback regarding this, as it seems like I'm the only person in the world (at least according to forum threads) who is having problems with this even after following the guide step by step multiple times. I have looked at the tomato firmware, but this requires the primary AP to be in WDS mode. I cannot set my primary AP in WDS mode unless I use WEP or Disabled encryption -- I have many opinions about this that I will not discuss here.

Last edited:
Triple check your WPA security settings. Make sure it matches your main router.

I have set up quite a few DDWRT installs in repeater mode with no issue using similar guides.

Triple check your WPA security settings. Make sure it matches your main router.

I have set up quite a few DDWRT installs in repeater mode with no issue using similar guides.

I had a feeling this reply was about that. Sorry I should have mentioned that I've tried disabling all wireless security a few times too with no success.

Back