Linksys WRT54G power/cable issues.

bandit390

[H]ard|Gawd
So I just bought a Linksys WRT54G for $4 at a flea market, but the lady didn't have the exact power cable, so I just grabbed whatever was the closest. The power cable works, but every couple of minutes the router's power light will start blinking and the internet is out. The good news is it comes right back on after about 20 seconds and I also have an original Linksys power cable from my other router, which fixes the issues.

In conclusion....I know the power cable is whats causing it. A new oem charger is like $12 from amazon, but is there any cheaper alternatives from walmart/etc?

Unless someone knows if there is something else causing the issue, but like I said, when I plug an original linksys charger in it from another linksys router, the issue is not there.

Last edited:
Make sure you have the correct volts and amps from the wall wart. You can find them anywhere. Good luck!

the amperage rating on the plug you have is probably too low and causing those problems when the router gets loaded with lots of connections. you can use any plug that will fit and has the correct voltage, and you can use any plug with an amperage rating equal to or higher then what the router says on the back.

Back