Linksys ADSL2 Modem Install/Config help required please

Zero1

Limp Gawd
Networking is one of the areas I've never had to deal with until now, but now I've got no choice but to get involved.

Well, I'll explain my situation, I require help if you guys would be so kind as to lend it; it should be relatively easy for most of you, but I'm totally green with networks and the like.

I live in the UK, and my ISP is BT (British Telecom) and I subscribe to their 2mbps ADSL service. The supplied modem would cause the system tray to lock up on disconnect and Windows not to shut down, so I went ahead and bought the Linksys ADSL2 modem (I understand it's backwards compatible with ADSL)

The original modem is made bt Globespan Virata for BT. AOL have the exact same modem but with their logo on it, the modem is the Voyager 100. When it's installed and working it connects to the internet like dial up. You have to initialise the connection and it dials 0,38 and varifies your username. I am led to believe it uses PPPoATM. When it connects I get a little tray icon that says connected at 2.2mbps, everything is good.

I can't seem to set up the Linksys to act like the Voyager, ie it has to dial up in effect. So far I have been able to get it working, but I don't think it's configured correctly. I read in the manual that there was a config utility accessible by pointing my browser at http://192.168.1.1/ . I logged in and configged it in such a way that it appears to work. Strangely enough I can't reach the US linksys site for love nor money, or the Orange UK (mobile phone provider) site, could just be an unrelated issue though.

It seems to dial up and varify automatically without my having to invoke it so I can fire up a browser and start surfing without waiting for the (very short) dialup, which is good, it's fast and convienient. It shows in the system tray as Local Area Connection 3 @ Speed: 12 Mbps. This is obviously not the speed of my net connection, and the modem itself is rated as up to 25 Mbps (I'm wondering if using USB is a bottleneck?).

The more frustrating side to this problem is that I can't listen to online radio. Windows media player doesn't see it as an active net connection and tells me that I'm not connected.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Ideally I'd like it to log in as it is doing now, without my invoking of it, but show the correct speed in the systray and correct information in the Networking section as opposed to it being listed as some form of LAN connection.

Many thanks

Back