[deleted]

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may not be your cup of tea, but I setup my own asterisk server and got service from http:\\connect.voicepulse.com .

Downside to this is it's very low level; You are the administrator of your phone system. This could also be the upside. Also, you need to get either an IP phone or the hardware to plug in your home phone. I'd go with the later option: IP phones are pretty 'spensive still, and the wireless ones suck.

Upside of this is it's cheap. Very cheap. As in 2.4 CENTS a minute, anywhere in the US ( no local ). 800 numbers are usually free. On top of that, you get all sorts of fun features to play with.

I'd recommend having a bit of linux knowledge before trying to setup asterisk. Asterisk is easy once it's setup, and even the setup is fairly easy once you get the concepts, but it's always good to know that the error you are running into is with * and not the OS ( and visa versa ).

[H]exx said:
Im familiar with *nix...work on a couple servers and have setup a few. So thats not scary to me :p

The thing is reliability, and getting local calls also. This isnt for me, but my parents (tryin to save them a few bucks on long distance).
Well, asterisk is fairly reliable: I convinced my company to use it. As for the local numbers: Voicepulse may have numbers local to you, never hurts to check. If you want an 800 number, I can point you in the direction of a provider I know of.

The cool thing with voicepulse that I forgot to mention is that all incoming calls to your DiD ( if you get one, they're 11 bucks a month ) are free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back