limit wifi speed?

DF-1

2[H]4U
Hello,

I'm a huge network noob, I really don't know anything about it.

I was wondering if theres a program or something that I could use for my router to limit the bandwidth that it gives on wifi?

I currently have about a 20down/2up connection from time warner with a linksys E1200 router.

I just want to limit the wifi speeds to about 70% because recently someone moved in that does a lot of downloads and makes my games go from 40 ping to 300+ and also my phone is through the internet, which becomes unusable.

just some simple setting to set the max wifi data to 13megabits/s down 1mbit up or something. Is there something like this?

Thanks!

1st you need to access your router. But, to check ip's. Start button, type in cmd "right click run as admin" inside the new window, type ipconfig/all hit enter. Look on the list for your "default gateway" IP now type that into your browser's top address bar: 192.168.xxx <--Example. under your router will have the default router admin/pass code that you need to enter to access your settings. look around in your settings, careful to not change too much as you can really mess things up. Set to wireless G mode if you can "it's a slower link speed for wireless", lower the power output down from 100% to say 50-70%. those are small suggestions for easing bandwidth on your network, you'll need to look up how to do QOS - quality of service if you want to allocate bandwith across fairly. qos settings differ on router to router if they even support it.

Your router might have QoS settings, so you can set certain programs (like games or VoIP) or IPs or MAC addresses on your network to have higher priority than others; and certain things (like torrents or usenet) to have lower priority. This way if your roommate/other person starts up some downloads while you're playing, data packets for your game/voip will always be prioritized over his torrent/usenet/download packets.

Another thing too, people that torrent and download excessively are had to talk too if you approach them upset. Calmly ask if they can change there upload settings in their download client normally Utorrent as you can have a good download speed but if your upload is fryed seeding heavy torrents with 100 or more connected your ping everyones ping goes bad. you could try to limit their download speed but look at it this way, they will still wait downloading even longer to finish their download. I had a long talk with my current roommate & she agreed to limit it to 2 'big-ish' sized torrents a day '' two movie sized torrents' & i don't complain everyone is happy, you just gotta have a good talk.

Get rid of factory firmware, replace it with something better, Google it.
Use QoS and put the user who is flogging it at lowest end.

so I opened up the QoS, but its just letting me select each and every appilcation one at a time (pictured). I also don't know what half of these settings are/mean.

It doesn't even list all of my games/applications, maybe about 1/5th of them.

im not sure what firmware I should use either, if I need to change it.

I don't think they're using torrents, but theyre doing something that is maxing out the connection.

also if I drop it down to G network it can still do 54mbps which is over double my connection..

too bad there isnt an application that you could just set it at a certain mbps limit or % network usage click okay and be done with it :(

q0i2.jpg

As some have already said, your best bet is to get rid of that crap factory firmware and try some third-party firmware (Tomatoe, OpenWRT, or DD-WRT). In 95% of all cases, no consumer wireless or non-wireless router is going to give you near the amount of features you'll get elsewhere, and any QoS would most likely be nothing short than laughable (Asus being a standout exception).

j6pDjFPHDO5Lu.jpg

This might do the trick if you chose DD-WRT. Limit that bitch to 1Mbps. Why? Because why not. Screw roommates that don't play nicely with shared bandwidth.

Simple solution ask person to move out. But like the others have said try a third party firmware. Plus being a long time time warner customer(dying a slow death), what modem do you have? If its a router/modem you need have tier 3 put in bridge mode, so it won't conflict with your router. Example I have Arris TG852G router/modem running in bridge mode with my Netgear 3700v1 with VoIP( modem). Warning a lot of routers have problems detecting your upload speeds when using Qos, so you probably have do it manually.

Last edited:
Okay, so custom firmware of the dd wrt it is!

how do I know if I have an E1200 or an E1200v2? I tried looking at the box, at the device, I tried googling the codes on it but I haven't gotten anywhere..

there are two different links to the E1200's depending on if its a v2 or not I don't want to brick my only router.

my modem is an RCA DCM425 from time warner... which they recently started charging monthly for it for some reason...

Thanks for the help guys!

RCA DCM425 modem, I thought TWC phased them out awhile back?
E1200 v1 or v2 = Version 1 is 4mb Flash, Version 2 is 8mb flash(found that on Linksys forum)

Some suggestions:
1- might want to have twc change out that modem
2- Call Linksys support to verified for sure what router version you have
3- After confirming what version you have then install the right third party firmware
4- Then find some kind and knowledgeable members here to help you with the new firmware.
5- Or just take my first suggestion ask person to move out J/K

Edit: Ok since you have an old modem(non telephone), I would suggest you get your own updated modem.(instead of paying the fee for a leased one if you can afford it)

Last edited:
Back